Author Topic: Drinking equipment!  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Aly Mac

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
Drinking equipment!
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:52:15 am »
My lo is quite good with an open cup when I help her and she's starting to try herslef (though she gets a bit wet LOL).  She also has a sippy with a nuby soft teat for water when she's not in her highchair.  The next stage is normally a straw cup from what i can gather, but I figure just keep doing what I'm doing until she gets teh hang of the cup more (I know it will be a while) and late transition from the sippy to like a sports bottle thing.  Any reason why teaching with a straw is important?

sorry for the daft question, but just curious....
Aleesa.....

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Drinking equipment!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 14:45:23 pm »
They dont have to learn to drink from a straw but it is useful if they can drink from all sorts of cups.  My ds can use a straw, a sports cup (pinches his sisters juice), sippy cup, open cup on occasion, etc.

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 22:30:46 pm »
Any ideas on when is a good time to start with a straw - just don't want to start too early if it's something she just doesn't get iykwim?
Aleesa.....

Offline Isabella's Mummy (Lilab4)

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 22:38:30 pm »
We started just before a year. I used a normal straw and would help her by sucking the water up and then putting my finger over the end and putting it in her mouth. I also used to cut the straws short so that it didn't take so much effort to get the reward. Once she mastered that we moved on to proper straw cups. She got it quite quickly though.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:33:06 am »
Our ds started the sippy thing with a straw sippy - he just couldn't get the hang of the other kind - I would say that he started with the straw around 10 months?

I was talking to our therapist (we were worried about his oral motor skills) the other day about the whole sippy issue.  She said that she recommends to wean of the sippy cup by 3 years at the latest - but straws are still okay.  It's something about the suckling motion (occurs with a regular sippy - not the straw) that you want to try and stop between 2 and 3 years - I think it helps with the development of their little mouth muscles :)

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:40:06 am »
 Maybe that's why L seems to suck and then let half of it spill out her mouth now? it's kind of lazy, so she's not really thinking of it.  she used to be real good with it, now we spill more than we take in I think. i guess we are the lazy ones too as it's a great way to get water into her - it's around all the time, that's why I did it, to get more water in her.  I didn't give her a sippy for ages due to her biting me while I bf her (the ABA recomended not to get the hard nipple ones).

Thanks for all the great info and advice. very interesting!
Aleesa.....