Author Topic: Confusion on extending activity times  (Read 741 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Confusion on extending activity times
« on: December 15, 2013, 17:09:45 pm »
My DS is just now four months old and he is staying awake for 1.5.  Having consulted the Average 'A' Times, I can see he ought to be at around 1.75 hrs- 2 hrs, my problem is he doesn't show the typical signs of being ready for extension.  I extended his A time to 1.5 hrs at 3 months when I kept getting 45 minute naps in the afternoons and now he naps 2hrs in the morning and then two, 1.5 naps in the afternoon.  He's in bed every night at 6:30-6:45 and he sleeps through until 7am (with a dream feed of course).
Should I just start slowly keeping him awake for 1.75 even though he's napping well?  I adjust the afternoon sleeps before the morning because he's a bit of a sleepy head in the morning.  I loath the idea of messing with his fantastic napping but if he ought to be awake longer, I don't want to hinder his development.
Any suggestions? 

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Confusion on extending activity times
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:42:38 am »
Change nothing!!

The averages are just that, averages.  Some babies will need more and some babies will need less.  Sounds like your LO will be higher sleep needs but that's fine :). Ideal some might say!  You certainly won't be messing with his development by giving him the rest he needs - in fact almost exactly the opposite.  He'll tell you when he needs more A time x

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 17:02:33 pm »
Thank you jessmum46!  Everyone around me seems to think my LO sleeps a lot so I was worried I wasn't letting him stay awake enough, I'm such a worry wart!  I'll follow his lead

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 18:08:02 pm »
:)