Author Topic: Getting started - shifting daytime?  (Read 830 times)

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Getting started - shifting daytime?
« on: January 30, 2014, 00:56:12 am »
Hi ladies,

I'm sure there's already a thread on here in regard to this and if someone can direct me where I would be very grateful.

My baby is 7 weeks old, she's really unsettled in the evenings and sleeps for most of the morning. 

I'm wanting to get her into a routine that's starting at 6-7amish.  My son (24 mths) is awake about 6 so it would be good for us to all start our day together.  I'm really unsure of how to go about starting a routine properly at this age.  I've tried extending her awake time in the mornings but no matter what I do she just falls back to sleep.  It is of course possible that I'm expecting too much at such a young age and I just need to run with it.  I'm really interested in your honest opinions!

Thanks in advance, hope you're all having an awesome day!!!

Offline mycatmonet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Getting started - shifting daytime?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:57 am »
No advice but interested in any answers! My 8 day old is like this, I long for the day we get a proper routine going...

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:13:17 am »
The first steps we took were to establish the morning wake up time. So for me, I would wake Medi around 7.30 each morning. Bedtime was a bit flexible for a little while but settled around 10 weeks probably. 
As far as an easy routine goes, I would say to start with separating feeding from sleep. As you've noticed there's not much awake time, maybe only a few minutes after the feed.

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:17:18 am »
Totally agree with Sarah hun. We started from day one by feeding and winding (which he slept through!) and then a nappy change which I talked to him, tickled his toes etc to keep him awake and that was about it for A time! Now at 6 weeks he can manage up to an hour awake after each feed. But for the 10am or 1pm feed he tends to pretty much go straight back to sleep after a nappy change and sleeps for three hours! He obviously needs that each day so I just go with it. At this age I am just pleased we have the EAS pattern in place and the A times will then lengthen as our LOs grow. Make the most of the sleepy phase while you can!!  ;)