Author Topic: 9 months 2 bottles ~ any experiences?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Katie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 99
    • Franzone Family Blog
9 months 2 bottles ~ any experiences?
« on: January 08, 2007, 06:26:08 am »
Hi  Aliera is now on 2 bottles she just refused the 11am one until i gave up ( I cant make her drink can I?) Well we were happily on 2 bottles but now she is refusing the 7pm one... so we are pretty much on 1 bottle.  NOw I am not to concerned as we have no nightwakings and she still has 2 X 2 hr naps a day.  JUst wondering if any one elses LO's dropped to 1 bottle at this age (9months?) I have upped her solids and make sure she has cheese and yoghurt everyday... am a little concerned about iron though.

Any other experiences with this? To make me feel at ease?

Katie x

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 9 months 2 bottles ~ any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:02:05 am »
Katie

Calum is still on 2 bottles at nearly 16 months.

Do you think it is maybe a phase? or that she is getting too many solids and is not hungry enough for her bedtime bottle? Feel free to post your routine with amounts of food and milk.

I will try and get on later and hopefully others will be able to help as well.....
Lauren x

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:30:09 am »
Katie could it be teething? We had days where DD only had half her bottles then within a week she was back to normal again. At 9months she was still on 3 bottles and dropped to 2 bottles at 10months. Now at 17months she has her milk first thing in the morning (10ozs) and late afternoon (7ozs).

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:33:27 am »
HI,

maybe a phase and maybe teeth, but no night wakings.

Tonight she took 2nd bottle of Dh yay... so thats 2 today 200mls in each if she does 2 i will be happy :)

Our routine:

7.30am bottle 200mls
8.30: small bowl porridge and half a piece of toast

11.30am: snack half a banana
12.30pm:lunch: either veggies, fruit or protein and some finger foods

3pm: snack: small tub yoghurt
5pm: dinner meal i've made ie bolognaise or tuna pasta or veggies and meat.

7pm: 200ml bottle

she also has a whole sippy of water during the day, so the other day i thought i would try formula in her sippy with lunch but no go she wouldnt drink, but i put water in and she drank nearly half  ::)

Thanks guys

Katie xx

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 16:17:27 pm »
Hi Katie
at 9 months Sophie had a teething bout that lasted 3 weeks and throughout that time she point blank refused her bedtime bottle, or took a measly 2 oz. I was beside myself with worry (ask Lauren & Paula, lol) but they assured me it was teething and would pass and you know what- they were right!  ;)
so you never know, maybe it is a phase...
kathryn x
]

Offline Loujo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Thomas and Marissa
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 19:53:36 pm »
Hiya!
Thomas stopped taking his bedtime bottle at about 8 months but he will take an afternoon one at about 4pm when he wakes up.  We dropped the bedtime bottle completely and he has just water at bedtime now.  Also he isn't a great milk drinker and probably has about 6 - 8 oz of milk a day in bottles (he has 2 bottles a day)- I just make sure that he has formula on his breakfast and a yogurt or pe filous with lunch.
HTH
Lou
x
'you've got to take all you have and pour and pour...'

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:38:47 am »
hi Katie.

Maja is on two bottles and sometimes she refuses her evening one too but always it's teething related so I know the reason  ::)

I love your feeding routine! will have to change ours too so I guess I'll try yours.  :-*

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Oporto Portugal I'm sooo lovely!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 13:36:10 pm »
Hi! My Alice is 8mo old and she is taking 2 bottles a day for the last mo., just because she falls a sleep (she really falls!) around 8h30 and sleeps trough the night till 8h30 am. We tried to wake her around 12pm to feed her an extra bottle, but she wouldn't really wake and didn't eat much, so we gave that up. Now she takes, for dinner, some soup with protein and around 120/150ml of formula. We try to compensate the iron and calcium factor with milk cereals for tea and a iron supply.
It's working for now and the doctor says it's OK. maybe we will introduce some yogurt at 9mo.
hope it helps

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 16:56:30 pm »
So glad I found this Katie! I was just about to post a new topic!

DS now drinks 4-5oz in the am and barely finishes his 8oz at bed. This has been since I dropped to 2 bottles about 4 days ago. How could he go from 22oz a day, to 12-13?! Surely he couldn't drop another 4oz so soon (all this in less than a week?). He is kind of teething, but is content when he comes off the bottle.

So I have been toying with one bottle a day. If I decide to drop DS down to 1 bottle a day (aah!), is it okay that his only other 'drink' is water in the day? He refuses his sippy now, so I have to hold a plastic cup for him and he downs the water so fast! I suppose I should try formula in a cup, but wouldn't he naturally refuse it if he won't finish his bottle? Or should I just give him 4oz in the am and the 8oz at night until he starts to drop down to less than 4oz in the morning?

I give him 4oz yogurt,and 1-2oz cheese each day for calcium. I need to work on the high iron foods since I got him to stop eating the boxed cereal and now make my own, but what else should I do?

Thanks gals!  :-*

Oops - a routine would help I suppose!

730 - 4-5oz bottle
815 - 3oz oatmeal/fruit combo, 2-3oz fruit
1030 - snack of 3oz fruit
1130- lunch 4.5oz yogurt, 2oz tofu, slice of toast or half a sandwich (grilled cheese or tuna melt)
300 - snack - 1-2oz cheese and 1 oz fruit or some veggies
430 - supper - 1oz protein, 2oz barley, 3oz veggies
630 - 8oz bottle
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 16:59:43 pm by Jonahs Mom »
~Keri~

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 17:06:52 pm »
yep, i was gonna post too...u read my mind, katie.

keri, sounds like us a bit.  today avery had 3oz in her straw cup at snack time....she seems to like her bottles later in the day....and i truly think she needs to be starved to drink them.  i am afraid to take the bedtime one away completely, so we'll try and see.  3oz @10, 8oz @230, 8oz @730   i think she is ready to drop milk, but still needs more than two bottles worth. 

goodness, didn't expect my dd to not want her milk.  it could be teeth, so i will keep trying.  but i haven't been very successful.

sami

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 22:20:01 pm »
hi sami and keri  :P

yup we are on 1 or 2 bottles depends on the day latley i can actually get 2 into her if i time it exactlly right  ::)

so we are still on

Our routine:

7.30am bottle 200mls
8.30: small bowl porridge and half a piece of toast

11.30am: snack half a banana
12.30pm:lunch: either veggies, fruit or protein and some finger foods

3pm: snack: small tub yoghurt
5pm: dinner meal i've made ie bolognaise or tuna pasta or veggies and meat.

7pm: 200ml bottle

she also has a whole sippy of water during the day, so the other day i thought i would try formula in her sippy with lunch but no go she wouldnt drink, but i put water in and she drank nearly half  ::)

Thanks guys

Katie xx

except that final bottle is now at 6.15pm not 7pm and she goes to bed at 7.15pm.  I f we try to give her the bottle at 7pm she wont drink it... if we give it at 6 sometimes she is not hungry (i guess cause dinner is at 5) so 6.15pm it is  ;D 

so we are only on 350 - 400 mls a day.  And like you keri we also only have water at other times of the day in her sippy.

Tiahnee was a little like this too. So i make sure aliera is getting her calcium and iron from other sources..

Hope that helps

Katie xx

Offline Isabella's Mummy (Lilab4)

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 22:31:24 pm »
We too have days when Isabella just isn't interested in her bottle. She normaly averages about 15 - 20 oz a day over 3 bottles which I'm ok with, but 1 day last week all we managed was 8oz all day- including what was in her cereal! I give a triangle of cheese each day, make rice pudding and also give Fromage Frais to try and get calcium into her, but how much is equivalent to how much milk? I never know how much is enough, and what other things is she missing out on by not having milk. Can anyone help?
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

shimzy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 22:39:51 pm »
My son was exactly that way. Although he traded his bottle for the sippy cup so he still had 2 - 8oz of formula each day. IS there no milk at all or is it being traded in for the cup?

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 10:20:22 am »
Hi all

Thanks for directing me to here Katie!  Sounds like we're not the only ones going through milk refusal which is oddly reassuring!

Seren also won't take her milk in a sippy cup, we tried yesterday then tried her with one with water in it and she drank it fine.

We tend to supplement her diet with lots of cheese & yoghurt & use formula on her breakfast.  My main question after looking at your routines is re: the amount of snacks you're giving them.  I'm not sure Seren would take that much extra food.  Also, Katie, you said a small tub of yoghurt - is that a 3 oz tub? (approx 5 tbsp).  When you say 3oz of fruit do you mean 6 tbsp?  See, that's how much Seren would take for her main meal!!  I'll post what we intend to do today with amounts.

This is what we are trying to do at the moment - still trying to keep the afternoon bottle as she's taking so little in the morning:

wake her (hopefully) at 6.30
E 6.30 - bottle 1 (only had 3.5 floz this morning & it was a total battle)
A
E 8.20ish - breakfast solids: approx 4oz of cereal made with formula & fruit (it's this late due to journey to nursery - we leave house at 7)
A
S 9.30/9.45 - 10.15/10.30ish
A
E 11.30 - lunch solids: approx 3 oz veggies & protein (i.e. spag bol) and another 1.5 - 3oz of yoghurt or fruit
A
S 1.30/1.45 - 2.30/3pm
E 2.30/3pm ish - bottle 2 - hopefully she will take at least 3 oz
A
E 4pm - dinner solids: approx 3 oz veggies & protein (i.e. fish with mash pot & cheese sauce) and another 1.5 - 3oz of yoghurt or fruit (no yoghurt if she had cheese sauce)
A - journey home, (she may have a catnap here in the car, I can't really control it if she does), bath
E 6.50ish - bottle 3 - we may do this as a split feed before & after bath to see if she take more.
S 7pm ish

Last night she woke screaming at 10.15pm so I ended up giving her some milk, she totally calmed down and went straight back to sleep after downing a 5oz bottle.  Why won't she take this during the day as she obviously needs it????

Any advice/ideas will be gratefully recieved!

Shanaz
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 17:15:32 pm »
yesterday worked much better for us.

3/4oz @ 10am  in straw cup
8oz @ 230
8oz @ 730   

drank everything.

i can't tell if she is weaning the milk, or the bottle itself.  i think the bottle because she drinks milk just fine from the other cup.  but when she is hungry, she wants it in a bottle and doesn't have time to fart around with it.

strange....

had brekkie, a snack and lunch with only 3/4oz of milk until 230.

then from 230-730 she drank 16ozs.  she was always big on clusterfeeding and still seems to be i guess.

hope everyone else has luck.

sami

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 19:49:15 pm »
Nope, not an oz of luck have we had today...she only took 3.5oz this morning so I asked the nursery to skip the 11am bottle but give her one after her afternoon nap.  When I got there I saw the info sheet and they hadn't even tried to give it to her!  :o  When I asked them about it they said that they hadn't (didn't say why) then said "but she ate her dinner much better without it" what, the dinner that she only ate half of?  God, I'm sooooo angry with them.  How dare they over-ride my requests?  I'm going to have to say something on Monday.  It's as if they think they know better for her and seem to think I'm just being an overbearing mother.  Well, they're welcome to come & feed her during the night because she's waking due to too little milk during the day.  GRRRRRRR

Right, sorry, rant over with.  On a plus point, I managed to get her to take 7floz before bed.  I did a split-feed before and after bath.  What I have noticed is that she will start bucking about & crying as soon as she sees the bottle but once I get it in her mouth she drinks it down fine, well, not fine but better than she has done.  It's just a case of getting it in there!  ;D  Anyway, that's a grand total of 10.5oz again today, it could have been nearer 14 if they'd tried her with the bottle

Hope you're all having a better time of it.

Shanaz  ::)
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline newmaze

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 20:17:35 pm »
I am glad to stumble upon this, too.  I am having problems trying to figure out her next change of routine.  We were doing 4 bottles so well (7:30, 11:30, 3:30, & 7) until she lost interest.  So then we switched to 3 bottles (7:30, 1:30, 7:00).  She would have her meals inbetween.  You would think she would be hungry for the bottles, but the only one I can really get her to eat well is the 1st bottle (usually around 7oz). I put 2 oz in her breakfast so that = 9.  Then, the 2nd bottle, I think she tends to have 4-5 oz (spread out...) and then another 4-5 at night. Is 17-19oz enough at 9 months old?  I do give her cheese & yogurt everyday, too.  She is a "healthy" weight, too, lol!! 

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 21:06:59 pm »
I would say that if your lo is eating cheese and yogurts as well as having 17-19oz a day she is doing really well.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 21:10:22 pm »
I spoke to my HV about this and I was told 17 - 20 oz is ideal, but somedays they will have less and some more. Trouble is that at the age they are now, if they don't want it, there really is no getting them to have it!! Putting it in their food is the only other way.

I have tried a sippy with milk, but she just looks at me very strangly and refuses it. However, if there is water in there she will happily drink that!!!

Offline Loujo

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Thomas and Marissa
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 19:27:13 pm »
A pot of yogurt and a small piece of cheese is equiv to about 7 fl.oz of milk
HTH
xxx

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 19:39:57 pm »
Thank you. How big is a pot of yoghurt? We have fromage Frais such as Munch Munch, Petit Flous or Little stars and they are very small....

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 20:02:37 pm »
We use the Petit Flous, and we use the big pot, I think it is about 100g.

Offline newmaze

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 20:06:08 pm »
Is there a website where you find out this info?  I try to give a 4oz container of YoBaby for lunch, and a slice of cheese at dinner.  She woke up hungry at around 12:30, which is extremely odd for her - she has slept through the night since 2 months old... so I figured it was lack of milk.  Gave her about 3 or so oz of formula and she went back to bed... I can't force more oz in her during the day.  She just flat out refuses them.  We are on #4's Avents, and I feel like they may be too slow?  What is next?  I tried sippy cups and half of it gets all over her.  Ahhhhhh.

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 20:13:04 pm »
Newmaze - Could it be teething for you too?? Which Sippy's do you use?

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 20:19:17 pm »
We made an extra hole in our #4 advent nipples as they were too slow for our DS.  Have you tried the veriflow avent nipples?  I have heard that they are a quicker flow than the #4 fast flow.

Offline Loujo

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Thomas and Marissa
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 20:48:44 pm »
Hi!!
Got this from the Annabel Karmerl feeding your baby and toddler book.  My health visitor told me that a pot of pe filous - the normal baby size ones - are about 5 fl.oz
Louise
x

Offline Loujo

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Thomas and Marissa
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 20:53:48 pm »
Newmaze - I had the same prob with slow flow of the milk - Thomas used to get bored of it not coming out quick enough and just give up - tried loads of sippy cups, lots of them absolutely pants - but finally got him one with a straw and he took to it like a duck to water - it's a tommee tippee one and has cool bugs all over it  ;) - the straw bit is really soft like a nipple/teat which is why I think he liked it and he was always good at sucking, just not too good at the tipping lol  ::)
Anyway, so now he has everything in his straw beaker and he drinks soooooooooo much more than he used to!
HTH
Louise
x

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 21:05:47 pm »
Quick question re the straw cup, how do you clean it? I worry that I've not done it properly as a valve prevents water running through it....

Offline newmaze

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 23:57:39 pm »
yep lila, it is teething.  the drools, snots, etc all came out after I typed my post.  we bought a nuby soft spout, since it feels like a bottle.  We will see if it works.  I was literally shoving milk in her, but I don't think she took much today.  I gave her some tylenol, so hopefully she will relax tonight!  This is a bit stressful, and I don't know why!

Offline Loujo

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Thomas and Marissa
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 14:45:39 pm »
Hey lilab4!
You can pretty much take the tommee tippee one completely apart and I just shove a clean bottlebrush in it!
Lou
x