Author Topic: refusing the bottle and sure it's not the teeth!!  (Read 5226 times)

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
refusing the bottle and sure it's not the teeth!!
« on: January 23, 2007, 19:40:50 pm »
Hi all,

My lo is 6 months and we're doing the weaning game ;D... he's not doing too badly but he's now refusing the bottle.  He'll have 4oz at breakfast, 5-7oz for the df and then a middle of the night feed that ranges from 4-6oz (that i really would like to get rid of ::) ::))  I've tried the gels a few minutes before attempting to give him the bottle but it's almost as soon as he's swallowed the milk he doesn't want it, it's as if it's too sweet or it hurts to swallow IYKWIM?  I do manage to get a few more oz into him with baby rice.  He's also not too keen on yoghurts either ::)

any ideas, tips, suggestions anyone?

Thanks, Debbie
Debbie

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: refusing the bottle and sure it's not the teeth!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 19:42:38 pm »

What size teat are you using?  Do you think your lo could be bored with the flow, and want a faster flow teat?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 19:50:50 pm »
Hi Paula, thanks for replying

I am using the fast flow teats and have done so for a while, but i also tried the medium flow when he started refusing the bottle thinking the milk was hitting the back of his throat too quickly.

Can they go off milk because it's too sweet?  He really enjoys the savoury foods & vegs i've been giving him and doesn't really like puddings unless it's fruit so i'm wondering whether his palatte prefers this combination... can this happen???

Debbie
Debbie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 20:02:00 pm »
I am not sure if they can go off the taste of milk.  My DS never liked milk, and it was always a hassle to get it into him  :-\

My DS also went through a phase that when he was teething, but not cutting teeth, he would refuse a bottle.  It is not just the cutting of the tooth that is painful for them, it is also when the teeth are moving up in the gums.  Maybe this is what is going on with your DS.

We even had a bottle strike that lasted 5 days where he refused every single bottle and would not drink anything.

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 20:10:40 pm »
Paula, did he resume his bottles after his independence stand!!?

what i am wondering, after perusing the other boards, is am i giving him too much by way of solids?  He's a big boy and will finish off a jar of food no problem!!
Debbie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 20:14:32 pm »
Yes, he did start taking his bottles again after his strike.

Can you post your routine here, with amounts of milk he is taking now compared to before, as well as his solids intake - what size jar, so we can have a look at it.

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 20:52:13 pm »
h'ya again :)

our day can look like this.... i'm having a few issues with the weaning like not knowing what suits us re when to offer solids/milk..... i have looked at other posts and i suppose it's finding what fits for us? ::)

Anyhow....

Wakes 0530 - 0630
E - 0700 3-5oz milk & 10+ spoons baby rice (did drink the bottle this morning)
A - 2-21/2 hrs
S - 45 - 2 hrs

E - 11ish Full jar of 1st stage food & 1/2 size jar of fruit & juice/water - used to offer milk at this time but wants the good stuff ASAP !!!
A - 2 hrs
S - 45 - 2 hrs

E - 1430 6 -7oz milk - now refusing
A - 2-21/2 hrs
E - 1700 1/2 jar size of veggies & mashed banana/small yoghurt (only taking 3 spoons of either)
S - 30 mins   
A - bathtime
E - after bath 5 - 7 oz - now refusing......will take 10 or so spoons of baby rice if i can't get him to drink

Bed - 1900 - 2000 ish 

E - 2230 df and he'll drain 8oz -

he'll wake anywhere between 0230 -0430 and take 5-7oz

Today, i also tried the sippy cup to see if that worked and he refused this also.

Debbie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 21:11:35 pm »
What time do you offer your last bottle of the evening?  It could be that this bottle is too soon after his dinner.  We used to offer dinner at 4:15 / 4:30, and then his evening bottle around 6:30/6:45ish.

His lunch does not seem a lot, but he could be filling up on it and not having an appetite for his bottle.  Maybe try not giving the fruit and see if this makes a difference with his afternoon bottle.  If not, then I would definitely think that it is a phase.

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 22:17:30 pm »
Paula, thanks for your suggestions.  I give him his last bottle around the same time as you do, 1830-1900ish.  I've written his routin/day down for the last few days and looking at it, i think you might be right, he's probably too full after his 5pm food to want a bottle at 1830, but that doesn't really explain the refusal at 1430 bottle ::) ::)....i think i need to adjust the times i offer solids & milk i'll see what happens the next couple of days, but thanks for keeping track of this post.  I may come back to you, if that's ok?

Debbie x
Debbie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 20:11:50 pm »
No worries.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 20:42:27 pm »
Hi Paula, just a little update....he's had a temp the last couple of days and has vomited everything this afternoon, so maybe this is what i was really dealing with?!! :) :) hopefully, we'll get back on track now

Debbie x
Debbie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 20:57:42 pm »
Hugs Debbie,

Sounds like your little man has really not been well.  Poor boy.  I hope he feels better soon.

When our DS is not well, our routine goes out the window, and anything goes, as long as he is happy.  Remember you can always get back on track when he is feeling better.

:-*

Offline consmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 19:04:11 pm »
Hi Debbie,

Gosh you could be talking about my LO. I am experiencing the same thing. He is 8 months old but he was born 2 months early so I am following a 6 month pattern. He is on 3 solid meals and was taking 8oz for each feed. I have not increased the amount of solids but for the past 2 days he has been refusing all his bottles and only taking 4 oz at the most. I also don't think he is teething. Like your LO, he has a few sips and then stops and refuses the bottle. He loves his veg but won't really eat the fruit.

I am also confused. I am going to try and drop a bottle feed and see if his intake increases.

Let me know how the next few days go. Just know you are not alone on this one. It is very strange.

Linda
Connor - My angel baby

Offline finlays mam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 19:25:08 pm »
Hi Linda,

Fin has started to drink his milk again although sometimes it's still hit and miss. What i think i was really dealing with was a viral thingy and him just not being 100% to be honest i did wonder whether he had a sore throat.... but i'll never know ::)  But i did manage to get milk into him using good old baby rice.  Have you tried this?

Debbie
Debbie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 19:31:50 pm »
Linda, how far apart are you offering the bottles between meals?  Could you post your routine so that we can have a look at it.  What size teat are you using?

Debbie, I am pleased that Fin has started to take his milk again.