Author Topic: Having trouble with 9.5 mo old taking enough oz  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Having trouble with 9.5 mo old taking enough oz
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 20:01:00 pm »
Ok thanks Paula!
Meghan, Mommie to Baby Kaitlyn

Offline newmaze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 20:07:15 pm »
kat - was following this because isabella is drinking less and less too. I know Bethany is smaller than her, but maybe you will feel happy to know that when I met with my pedi, he said she should have anywhere btw 16-30oz in a day.  16oz being the minimum, but requirement.  And, he said all cheese/yogurt is included in that number, so if she is drinking (for ex that one day) 17oz and having 4 oz of yogurt, that is good.  We are figuring out formula amounts too as she refuses a bit.  I find the "set" bottles no longer pertains to us, except the morning bottle.  

So, now I give her a bottle at her set time and then just leave it alone and not stress over it.  It is more of a "do you want some more ba-ba" and if she looks at me or it, I give her the bottle.  She may have another oz, maybe a sip.  I pretty much do this during her A time.  

At her 7:30 am bottle, she usually drinks 6oz.  I put the remaining 2 oz in her cereal.  
Her 2nd bottle, at 1:30, I give with her solids now (so around 12).  She has about 3 oz before her meal, eats her solids, and then for the rest of her awake time, I offer it to her/keep it out.  She takes an oz here, oz there.  Usually adds up to maybe 6 oz.  I think she gets thirsty or tired for crawling around/climbing, etc.  I do the same with dinner.  Give her the bottle before dinner.  She usually has about 3 or so oz.  I bring dinner out, she gobbles dinner, and then give her the rest of the bottle, around 3-4oz before bed.  

Sort of a go with the flow attitude now!  I feel like Easy is out of the window in terms of eating times!

Offline nursekat

• Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 20:55:33 pm »
Yeah Jen we're the same here, although it's her bedtime bottle that is consistent.  What I found is if I give her a bottle at the END of her A time in the afternoon and at night, she'll take the whole 6oz (I don't even try for 8 anymore, the only time she did that was her growth spurt!).  I saw your other thread so I knew you were going through the same.  :)

And Meggie I was going to ask that even though she's snacking, is she getting her "total" oz for the day?  That might cut down on night wakings, if you offer the snacking but make sure her total cals are high enough.  I dunno...

Oh and yesterday went VERY well because she slept through!!!! ;D ;D

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 01:49:38 am »
I haven't done a real count the last couple days as my husband is helping out and he can never remember how much she took when I ask him.  I will  count tomorrow to see what she is actually taking in the day.

Offline newmaze

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 15:21:43 pm »
yeah... you know though, it doesn't affect her sleep, so I don't mind about that.  I just want to make sure she is eating properly... she def weighs enough, lol!  I just want to make sure she is rec'ing the proper nutrition.   I can definitely get 8 in her for the morning bottle (5-6 via bottle and the rest mixed with her oatmeal). 
It is the 2nd bottle that is a crapshoot and now I have split her 3rd night bottle into two, so she seems to get 6oz.  So, all in all, she is definitely getting 16 oz total a day and with her yogurt & cheese, probably closer to 20oz, so I guess I should stop worrying!  She will let me know, right~!

Offline nursekat

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 16:56:01 pm »
Yeah and I figure since she is small but she has chunks in all the right places, we're still good.  :)

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 00:09:17 am »
Today was a lot better.  She only woke once last night, so took a full 8 ounces in the morning between her bottle and cereal.  The afternoon she took 3oz in her yogurt and a 4 ounce bottle and 6 ounces before bed.  So 21 ounces is pretty good.  Fingers crossed for a good nights sleep.

Offline nursekat

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 04:25:06 am »
Fingers crossed for us, too.  The new routine (splitting the am bottle and giving the second bottle before naptime) is working great...but now we have some serious teething issues, I think I see it coming through.  So settling at night has been rough - she won't take a feed at night which is good but bad for the AP mommy that wants to go back to sleep.  :)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 20:39:32 pm »
Thats fantastic news Meghan, keep us posted.

Sounds like she is udjusting well kathleen.  I hate teeth, hopefully they will come through quickly.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Meggie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 22:35:18 pm »
Kaitlyn slept a lot better last night but still woke at 4:30 for a couple ounces.  Today she has taken 17 oz so far and still had her night time bottle to take.  I'm glad things are getting better.  Her teeth haven't come in yet, so I am wondering if they are regressing.  I sure hope not.

Offline nursekat

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 00:30:44 am »
Teeth can take up to 3mos to cut through!  Did you know that?  Whew, I hope they come through soon, too!  :D

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2007, 20:01:50 pm »
It is also not just the cutting of the teeth that can be painful for them, it is also when the tooth starts moving up in the gums.

Offline newmaze

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 20:12:20 pm »
We are having more problems with this and I am all over the bottle board trying to figure out what to do.  I am toying with the idea of finding another faster nipple, giving 2 bottles a day instead of 3, or moving some to a sippy cup to get it in there!!  She only drank 1 or so oz of her afternoon bottle today.  Last night was the first night in EONS that she woke (at 12am) but still... gave her 3-4 oz and back to bed for the rest of the night, until 8am.  So, how the ....... do I get it in her during the day!! 

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 20:21:21 pm »
Hugs, sorry to hear things are going so rough.

You can try going to 2 bottles a day in hope that she will take more in those 2 bottles, it is definitely worth a try.

On days where her intake is quite low, you could always offer her a few more solids to subsitute and make up the calories.

Offline magda1461

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two Angels that where sent to me
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 22:12:24 pm »
Kat..
Bella only has about 22-26oz a day..
2 weeks ago she went ight off her 11am bottle i just pushed it back and uped the solids.
dont forget Bethany has had a rough time with her illness so she may need a few extra weeks to sort out... id jsut offer her more of her favorite solids and not push with the milk. she'd eat if she was hungry...
how are things now?