Author Topic: New Waking 2hrs. after Bedtime  (Read 781 times)

Offline JCBDaddy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:13:28 am »
Hi Everyone!
We're wondering what is going on with our son....He's recently begun waking up for extended periods of time just two hours after he goes to bed.  He has never done this before.  My wife and I think he may be getting hungry.  We're looking for some insight.

Here's our background info.:

How old is your child? Almost 6 months

What’s his/her daily routine?
4 Hour EASY--up at 5:30 and fed, Nap at 7:30-9:30 and fed, Nap at 11:30-1:30  and fed, Cat Nap around 3-3:15 (30 minutes), 5:30 Bath/Feed/Books/Bed at 6:30ish

How long are naps?
Usually about 1 3/4 hours

Do you bottle or breastfed?
Breast

How much? or how long?
4 hour routine with a dreamfeed.

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
Both

How many wakes per night?
1-2

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
He has developed a new heart wrenching scream.  Sometimes he is just experimenting, but other times he truly means it.  It can be difficult to tell the difference sometimes.  Though mostly he means it.  His wake time varies from 30 minutes to an hour or so.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
We always wait for true crying...though because he is teething (no teeth yet) we may sometimes misunderstand the aforementioned screams with teething pains.

What have you tried to settle?
For the past month and a half, we've been using the sh/pat and pu/pd with great success.  He used to get up consistently around 2 or 3 after being put down at 6:30.  But recently, he's been getting up at 8:30pm just two hours after his bedtime..like he thinks its just another naptime.  The first night it happened, we gave him Tylenol because we thought his teeth were hurting him....it was a painful sounding scream.  I was alone the second night and gave him Tylenol again, same scream.   Tonight, we were afraid it was turning into habitual waking and tried to sh/pat and pu/pd to no avail.  It only seemed to make him more upset.  It seems we have to change our pu/pd routine to something more age appropriate.

What do you do for A time and how long is it?
A time is always about 2 hours, sometimes a little more.  He is at day care with a woman and two other children.  There, he has tummy time, plays with the girls, practices sitting up, and plays in one of those jumper harness things.  They also go outside for walks frequently.

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
Teething is probably the root of the issues here.

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
We are going to start this weekend.

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
No props here.

Do they have a lovie?
No

Thank You!!

Andrew and Megan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 22:43:07 pm by JCBDaddy »

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: New Waking 2hrs. after Bedtime
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 03:13:41 am »
Hi,
I don't think I can offer you much advice here.  My first thought was the same as your that maybe your LO is waking up due to hunger but I'm not completely sure.  When my LO was 6 months, I dreamfed him around 10:30pm at night to help him get the extra calories and food in him to help him sleep longer at night.  That is one thing I noticed that was different from your routine with mine.

Also, I'm just wondering could it be your LO is sleeping too early?  Does he show signs of tiredness and wanting to go to bed at that time?

Hopefully, somebody else with more experience can you give you more insight about your LO's nightwakings.

Hang in there, we'll help you figure it out.  :)

Offline JCBDaddy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 13:37:22 pm »
HI,
  Thanks for your response....unfortunately, we have to put our LO to bed that early because we have to get up early (work, ugg!).  We dreamfeed him about an hour earlier than you dreamfeed yours due to the earlier bedtime.  It is just such a strange semi-habit he has, he always keeps us guessing.  Last night he slept through the night, so maybe I'm asking for help when none is needed......

Thanks,
  Andrew and Megan
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 13:42:43 pm by JCBDaddy »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: New Waking 2hrs. after Bedtime
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 19:08:17 pm »
Always nice to see another dad around here! Welcome!

My first inclination is teething. I would suggest using Motrin instead of Tylenol because it lasts longer and works faster.  :)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o