Author Topic: Finger Food - Baby Led Weaning Advice  (Read 1202 times)

Offline cbg

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Finger Food - Baby Led Weaning Advice
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:02:18 am »
Oh boy, am sorting through a bunch of challenges with my ds right now! Seem to have posts in all sections!!!

My ds is just about 7.5 mos and really HATES purees.  He seems to have taken to finger foods, and loves being able to feed himself.  I am terribly nervous about choking, but think this is the only way to go now.

One thing I'm struggling with is how do I make sure he's getting enough calories in his meals??  He's not taking in much formula during the day, and we are struggling with NW and EW so I really want his meals to pack a caloric punch - can anyone offer any suggestions for finger food meals that would do that at this young age? 

Thanks!!

Offline ladybits

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Finger Food - Baby Led Weaning Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 14:05:00 pm »
We had the same issue with my daughter. She's now 7.5 months and feeds 90% of her food to herself -we don't do pure baby led weaning, as I prepare special food for her, but I suppose we've ended up doing a version of it. I am at the point of giving up on purees. She doesn't choke at all now, but I sit by her and watch closely and kae sure she sips some water from a beaker if she looks like she might choke or bits off a scarily big piece.

I'd strongly recommend a book by Jenny Maziels (Finger Food for Babies and Toddlers), which is full of healthy finger food recipes for babies and toddlers. Apart from obvious things like pieces of well cooked veg, avacado, soft fruits (melon, peach, fig) etc. you can try things like  well cooked frittata, polenta fingers, cheese straws, mini pizzas (home made bases so no salt)... She also manages things like flakes of salmon and smoked mackerel. Her diet is far healthier than mine now!

I am really loving sharing food with my daughter, and I hope you find a way forward. Good luck!
Our beautiful daughter was born on 24th March 2009. We feel very blessed.

Offline Mimi 2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 167
Re: Finger Food - Baby Led Weaning Advice
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 15:55:21 pm »
You could this sausage recipe.  It's great for self feeders and you can modify the recipe to taste. 

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=102407.0

Here's also some great ideas for finger food.  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95978.0

Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)