Author Topic: Bad Feeding Habit Starting - Need Advice Please  (Read 1023 times)

Offline DawnU

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Bad Feeding Habit Starting - Need Advice Please
« on: May 23, 2006, 13:38:49 pm »
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some much needed advice.  I'm a first time mum with a 5 1/2 week old DD who has been bottlefed since around day 4 (expressed breastmilk for a month w/a few formula topups and then formula exclusively).  Anyway, up until about a week ago, she had been eating really well for all of her feeds.  She has since started to develop a naughty little habit, especially during her night feeds.  When she eats, she becomes very figgity - playing around, kicking out her feet, gumming the teat, moving her head side to side, waving her hands, etc. as though it's playtime.  She's not irritable at all and keeps a good grip on the bottle when I've tried taking it from her mouth, so I know she's hungry, but she just won't lie still.  This makes the feeds quite difficult - they take around an hour of continually encouraging her to focus on eating, which then makes it a struggle to get her back to sleep as she's quite awake.  The teat appears to be the correct flow (tried a larger size and she was gulping the formula), I always make sure her nappy is clean, the environment (lighting + noise) isn't stimulating, she's winded, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and were you able to correct it?  Apologies if this is a silly issue to post.  This is my first baby so everything is a new experience and I'm never sure if DD's issues are exclusive to her or just something all newborns do!  :)

Thank you!
Beth x

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Bad Feeding Habit Starting - Need Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 17:49:51 pm »
Hi Beth
It is definately not a silly issue!!

My first thought was she is bored, what size teat are you using??   I never when by the age recommendations but only how DS coped with the flow from it.
HTH's
Lauren x

Offline DawnU

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:41:11 am »
Good morning!

Thanks for replying so quickly.  We're using a size 1 (newborn) teat - we tried a size 2 but she appeared to be gulping the milk and was having more spitups / hiccups, so we went back to the newborn size.

Appreciate your help  :)

Beth x

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 18:48:00 pm »
What make are you using? have you tried a different type.
Lauren x