Author Topic: 6 Week old - One sided feeding  (Read 842 times)

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
6 Week old - One sided feeding
« on: April 24, 2006, 20:06:29 pm »
Hi Ladies,

Josh has started to only want one breast per feeding now at 6 weeks - is this normal? I was worried about his weight gain because of it, but it looks like he is still putting on weight nicely - but why all of a sudden does he only want one side? I must admit, I have been panicking and worrying that it will affect my supply!

I mentioned it to a lactation consultant and she asked if he had been having any green poops - which some of his poops did have a green tinge to them, she seemed to think it was down to too much foremilk and perhaps he was feeding only on one side now because it would fix that?!!!

Anyhow, would love you thoughs and experience with this!

Dee
x

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 6 Week old - One sided feeding
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 20:19:40 pm »
Dee-
Tracy actually advocated single side feedings.  This will train (is that the word we want to use for our breasts  ::)) your breasts to produce the hind milk, which is better for your lo.  Instead of getting two doses of foremilk from both breast, Josh will get a whole lot more hind milk from one.  Your body will adjust and the supply will not be affected.
HTH
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 12:22:31 pm »
I used to always offer the second breast to DS until he was around a month old when I realised he never really ate that much from it and was satisfied with one breast. I think it is perfectly normal and dont be concerned about supply your body will adjust to any new demands or changes.  As long as he is happy and has plenty of wet nappies he is fine, keep up the good work!!!  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 03:05:19 am »
i have a 6 week old lo too!! and i feed on one side too- i feel like avery is much happier, (she only feeds 10-15 mins) and she seems to spit up a lot less. she was spitting up so much, and now, just a little (don't know if that's a good indicator or not) she seems to be plumping up nicely (sometimes i even want to chomp her little pudgy legs! lol  :D ) but i haven't seen her actual weight since her 2 week checkup. she is having lots of wet diapers, though the poopy ones are a bit more sporatic. i too have been concerned about my supply though, and i will try to pump some more to keep it up. i am interested to hear any advice you get too!