Author Topic: Constant 30 min nap  (Read 1156 times)

Offline vero86

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 16, 2014, 13:23:06 pm »
Hi there,

First, I know I have often written posts with tons of different issues. Sometimes I feel as though that once I fix one issue, another one appears! :) So I apologize in advance!

So, my 7 month old son has been sleeping very well at night. He goes to bed from 6:30-7:00 p.m. and wakes at 4:30 or 6:00 a.m. depending on the night. If he wakes at 4:30 for a feed, he usually sleeps until 7-7:30. If he wakes at 6, he is up for the day.

BUT - his naps have been horrible. Constant wakes after 30 minutes. I try to have A time of 2 hrs, 2:25- 2:45, etc but nothing seems to work... and the second nap, I bump up a bit because he is getting OT... and then by the afternoon, he is so tired that he wakes up crying or screaming (or cries in his sleep). Any ideas? He will either go down with not a peep (falls asleep on his own) or something goes down after 1-2 minutes of whining.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Constant 30 min nap
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 22:48:40 pm »
First, I know I have often written posts with tons of different issues. Sometimes I feel as though that once I fix one issue, another one appears! :) So I apologize in advance!
That's babies for you!  You get them figured out and then they go and change everything on you  :P

So I know you've tried some different A times, but it looks to me like they've been too short.  By 7 months most LOs are on 2 naps with around a 3hr A time
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
It's tricky because 30min naps are often OT so I understand not wanting to push too much, but that doesn't mean it's the case with your guy.  He could be UT and that's what 30mins means for him.  And if you're getting short naps anyway there's not much to lose to try to get longer A times, longer naps, and eliminate the third one.  What do you think?
Emma

Offline vero86

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 13:06:33 pm »
Thanks! I just put him down after about 3 hours so we will see. He had been yawning for a while but I decided to wait and see. Crossing my fingers. If he does 30-45 minutes, should I do another 3 hour wake up or should I reduce?

Thanks!

Offline Emami

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 23:52:25 pm »
Yes I would reduce the next A time if you get a short nap.  You might need to play it by ear a bit - I found that my DD needed quite a big cut after a 30min nap but could do a normal A time after a 45min nap.  Apparently those 15mins or so can make a big difference!  Good luck, I hope you get some nice long naps :)
Emma

Offline vero86

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 23:53:53 pm »
Thanks! First nap after 3 hours of A time was 30 minutes. He then did a 2h30 minute A time, and then did a 2 hour nap and ended the day with a power nap before dinner. Let's see what tomorrow brings! Thanks for your help!

Offline Emami

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 00:15:11 am »
Yay for the 2hr nap!  You will probably keep getting some short some long while he adjusts and then he'll be able to make it through the day without that last catnap
Emma