Author Topic: pls help with 3 week old naps!!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Animom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:13:12 am »
DS2 is little over 3 weeks...he sleeps well at night getting up only for feeds and sleeping right after (though he takes around 3-4 feeds)..but he only naps properly when I hold him against my shoulder..

We don't have any kind of schedule or routine partly because he doesnt like to be awake much and partly becoz he sleeps right after or during feeds..he likes to suck on my breast for comfort (doesn't take pacifier..have tried n tried)..but off late i have been successful in settling him with shsh pat on my shoulder..but I do have to at times sleep him to nurse when he gets very cranky n has not had a good nap..

My problem is that when I shsh pat him to sleep, no matter after how many mins I lay him down in his crib (have tried drowsy but awake, 5, 10,20, 30 mins), he always gets up crying..

How should I put him to sleep...i feel very constrained carrying him on my shoulder as I have a 3 yr old..but can't bear DS crying soooo much due to disturbed naps...pls suggest a way out..

Also why is there so much difference between day time n night time sleep. He can sleep right after feeds at night but day time naps are a struggle..

If this is developmental then by when can I expect him to settle for naps on his own?

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: pls help with 3 week old naps!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 22:37:43 pm »
Hello!  Just as a quick note, it sounds like you might be attempting a bit of controlled crying and it's important you understand that we do not support that technique in any capacity here on the BW forums. 
Try to remember, your LO is so incredibly young right now.  Very likely he's in the developmental phase where he's confusing his days and nights so whenever possible, try to keep him awake during feeds.  You can strip him down to his onesie so he's not super duper warm, try walking your fingers up his spine, give his hands a little jiggle while he's feeding etc.  Otherwise, if you follow the EASY order, he will eventually catch on but it takes time.  Keep in mind as well, newborns are typically awake for only an hour, and that's eyes open to eyes shut.  If you need to put him in a baby carrier to get some good naps, give it a go. 

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:51:56 am »
Thanks for your reply...he settles quite well with shsh pat but starts crying within some time of laying in crib..at that point I try to settle again with shsg pat and keep him on my shoulder for the rest of the nap or nurse him to sleep if he's very unsettled...i don't let him cry at all..am myself against CIO and understand the BW philosophy...

My question is that once he's zoning out after I have shsh patted him...what can I do that he sleeps well in his crib...pls suggest

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: pls help with 3 week old naps!!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 03:35:56 am »
Ugh!  Sorry I completely missed your post.  I hope things are going a bit smoother.  Something I would recommend is Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp.  We have his book in our resource section but the DVD is faster and, in my opinion, much more clear in meaning.  I used it with my DS and it really helped during this time, from about 3 weeks-3 months.  It's simply another method to help baby settle and for DS, it was more effective, at least at that young age.

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 07:40:57 am »
Thanks for your reply...will try Dr. Harveys method...when do naps get sorted out...i know with DD1, naps were bad from 6 weeks to around 4 months age...but here were facing issues right from the beginning..

I have tried to observe few naps of DS2...he jolts at 10 mins which he is able to manage on his own...but he has a big jokt with eyes open at 20 and then 30 min mark..at which point I have to either pick him up or if he's sleeping on me...shsh pat him...but he resettles only when sleeping on my shoulder...

My question is when will he learn to manage these jolts on his own...when will it get better...feeling bit discouraged...i don't know why I thouht naps with DS2 will be easier with all my expierence of managing poor naps with DD1!!