Author Topic: Naps with other little ones  (Read 1623 times)

Offline LizWaby76

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 11, 2014, 16:35:22 pm »
Hi

I'm looking for some guidance here that
 Doing okay really! My ds is 10 weeks old and in the middle of horrific short naps! I have to AP for his morning and sftetnoon nap so I'm only getting one nap a day in the cot at home which I never manage to extend. I plan in a few weeks to pu/pd to try and extend his naps (pat
Shush doesn't work with him).  Will I get any success going this once a day?

Thanks
L xx

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Naps with other little ones
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:00 am »
Hi there!

He is way too young for PU/PD.
What do you mean Shush-pat is not working? For how long have you tried it? It took us a couple of weeks to establish it, but it's really the only way to do sleep training at this age.
And are you sure that you did it "right"? It's very important to be consistent with the way you do it. There is some info about it here: Shush-pat - How to

Saying all that, your LO is still very very young and does it get easier to ST when they are a bit older, at least in my experience. If you manage one nap in the cot it's already great and no AP is going to "break" him.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:44 am »
Can you post your routine and we can take a look? Often if A times aren't enough it can make sleep training harder and leave you with short naps.

Hugs. Short naps are so draining x

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:52:03 am »
Hi

I didn't say I was planning to do it now, I said in my post in a few weeks and in the original BW book that I read ten years ago with my dd1, it said that pu/pd is suitable from
Three months. Pat shush does not extend the naps for him, and he's been on EASY since week 1.

His A times are 1.15 ish and I'm happy with them, it's really wanting to know if pu/pd will have an impact doing once a day?

Thanks

Xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 13:02:39 pm »
Yes I'd realised you were waiting a bit and our own sticky does show adaptions from 4 months.

I'd think honestly once a day won't be enough.  1.15 is a good A time for 10 weeks, maybe a little short but you'll likely be at 1.30ish by the time you are ready for sleep training.

When I ST my 4 month old I did ST for most naps most days and it really helped establish things.  I did though still feed to sleep at night and through the night and it didn't hamper progress.

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 13:23:36 pm »
I'm a bit stuck as have to take the other two to school etc. are there any suggestions for sleep training when others are in this situation?

Thanks for help

Xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 17:14:11 pm »
How many naps can you realistically so cot naps for?  Will the LO sleep on the school run?

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:07:16 am »
Oh yes he will nap in the pram as we walk, he wakes up at 40 mins but goes back off if I'm still walking etc.

I can do one nap a day in his cot.

As a separate issue with his n/w he goes from 7pm to 12pm - had a full feed (7oz) then wakes at 3.00am but only eats about 2oz and then again for the same about an hour later. We want to try and eliminate this bottle too as he doesn't want it.

Seems like everything is needing addressing at once! He's on 3.5 easy but not always hungry.

Thanks for ur help on all of this. Feel a bit lost!

Xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:27 am »
Have you tried resettling without feeding at 3am?    How are you APing naps?  Do you think when he wakes he doesn't know how to get back over without a feed?  And how does he go to sleep at bedtime? 

Sorry for all the questions.  Just trying  to get a picture of how the overall day looks. 

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 11:37:17 am »
We tried for first time not feeding last night and got him to go an extra 90 mins before feeding.

I think at that 3am he is reliant in fees to get back to sleep now. He has IS at naps in co (just 45 mins though) and at bedtime but he won't when he wakes at 3.

When I AP it's mostly in pram.

Xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 20:51:19 pm »
If he has IS for some naps and BT then I don't think the MOTN is a prop issue really. Are you reducing A times through the day if you are getting short naps?  45 minute naps can be OT so am wondering if the NWs are routine related if you don't think it's hunger.