Author Topic: short nap - getting him back to sleep  (Read 1172 times)

Offline doodle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
short nap - getting him back to sleep
« on: November 03, 2005, 00:06:27 am »
I was just wondering how I should go about getting my son back to sleep once he has woken up from a nap after a short time (20 or 45 minutes).  He is 2 1/2 months and only sometimes sleeps longer then 45 minutes.  He has a bit of reflux so I don't want to do the shush/pat.  Often times I just pick him up, reswaddle him and go through the put down process again.  I'm worried that I'm training him that he gets a cuddle when he wakes up during nap time (although I love the cuddle!). Is this wrong?  I want to make sure I don't start something I'm going to have to break later on.

Thank you!
Proud mom of Parker
Born August 22, 2005
7 lb 14 oz

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 21:55:13 pm »
Is it wrong?? Often times I just pick him up, reswaddle him and go through the put down process again.

Depends what is your put down process?  At what point are you putting him in crib?  If totally alseep, then you could be setting yourself for a problem later on.  If he is sleepy but awake and falls asleep in his crib, then it should be okay for a wee while longer as he is still young.

Offline doodle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:12:01 am »
Thanks for your feedback.
When I put him down he is still awake so he does fall asleep on his own.  It sounds like you don't think I'm doing the right thing, which makes me feel better.  You say only do it for a little while longer - how much longer?  Will this eventually work itself out or should I be trying something else?

Thanks again for your help! :D
Proud mom of Parker
Born August 22, 2005
7 lb 14 oz

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:58:48 am »
Quote (selected)
It sounds like you don't think I'm doing the right thing, which makes me feel better
  Since he is awake when you put him down what you are doing is just fine!!  He is still little and just now starting to self sooth. 

Self soothing is a learned skill, that literally takes weeks. It's not something that will happen overnight, or within a few days. Your little one is just 2.5 months old, so he's just starting the process.

If you create a sleepiness scale from 1 to 10 — 1 is full-throttle and 10 is out cold. Wait until your baby hits number 7, and lay him down to sleep.   It sounds as if this is what you are doing, so you are right on track!!

Offline doodle

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 19:13:52 pm »
Thank you!  When I typed "don't" I meant "do" !  :wink:  Sorry for the confusion!  I have mommy brain and I didn't read my response clearly! :roll:
I like the idea of the scale.  I'll keep that in mind because it's nap time right now!  :D
Proud mom of Parker
Born August 22, 2005
7 lb 14 oz