Author Topic: Contents of jarred baby food  (Read 781 times)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Contents of jarred baby food
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:00:46 am »
Our ped recommended holding off on milk, egg whites, citrus, and strawberries till 12 months (I'm sure there were a few others, but I can't find my list  ??? ). It seems from what others are saying that this is a pretty standard recommendation.

What surprises me is that so much jarred baby food, especially the earlier stages, has these ingredients.

Gerber stage 2 spinach contains milk (no problem as it really tasted vile anyway!).
Gerber stage 2 mixed fruit & yoghurt contains orange juice.

And there are others that I've had to hold off on, but can't recall... (mommy brain!).

It just seems weird to me that they would add these as ingredients when peds are recommending that young 'uns don't eat them.

What do you think?

Katy

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Contents of jarred baby food
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 03:10:37 am »
Food recomendations change with each country, or even just doctor.

Milk and milk products are safe after 9 months, unless you have a history of allergy. My DD for example is on Homoginized milk now for verious reasons.

I've never heard anything about citris from my doctor (or anywhere else)

Jarred Strawberry's are safe :) I actually was talking to my doctor about this as I was going to give DD real Strawberry's since she did fine with jarred and he told me that because of the way they cook the strawberrys and because the seeds are removed they are safe. Although I was also told 9 months for these as well.

Cooked foods act differently then uncooked a lot of the time. For example if you LO had bread then chances are your LO will be fine with egg yokes and milk.

This is when it becomes a matter of choice for parents. These are recomendation, and they are good ones. Take what your doctor tells you a make your own choice. For us the risk of allergy was so low that we went ahead with them.

Oh and if your LO has a milk based formula they should be fine with milk and milk products, just go slow when YOU are ready. My doctor told me a year at first, but when it became apparent that she wasn't going to take formula I made the choice to go with milk and I am happy with that choise. Now while it says no milk till one year that doesn't include milk products like cheese or yogerts, those are fine at 9 months.

I think they add these because there is such a difference with recomendations that they leave it to the discression of the parents.

Not sure how much help I am here.. but these are my thoughts.
Kimberly