Author Topic: Breakfast food ideas!  (Read 10892 times)

Offline Rebecca247

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • I am two! My mummy cant get enough of me xx
Re: Breakfast food ideas!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 04:23:20 am »
I'm thinking the cheerios here are the same as the US the box says its all made out of wholegrains...

we tried thr raison toast this morning, he ate a little bit of his own but ended up eating more of mine, which was a bonus!
I think i'll be brave and try the scrambled eggs tomorrow morning!

Bircher Muesli sounds good and easy,
when adding the apple juice do you add the kids apple juice that you buy in the baby isle or normal apple juice?

Do any of you just cut up small peices of apple for you Lo's to eat, i have always been to scared Max will choke! he has had them steamed soft.

Bek

they have my heart, they are my everything xxxx

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 04:35:08 am »
I add any juice, I had some juice boxes in the fridge leftover from a party, some of them orange juice and they all worked fine. The ones I had weren't enough, so I added water to make it up. 

I give Leobin slices of apple skin on or off and he eats them fine. I think slices are better than chunks for Leobin, overall he holds them well and bites off a piece the size he wants. He eats mostly finger foods and has not had a problem with choking etc. I think being used to feeding himself makes it easier, he can control the food, is good at spitting out too much etc. When we started solids he had to be force-fed antiobiotics for a bad ear infection and so that stalled any attempts at purees! Even now he doesn't like to be spoon fed so much.  ::)
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Rebecca247

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 07:41:54 am »
good to hear he handles apples well, have you ever peeled one and just let him have it full? I might try with small slices first?

Bek

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00:07 am »
no not full yet.
for some reason at the moment he's taken to eating pear or apple, chewing it a bit then pushing it out of his mouth!  don't you wish they could tell you what's going on?! lol

Offline Rebecca247

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:24:20 am »
it would be nice if they could tell us what they like or dislike!
I might actually try and grate it up first before....tiny steps! :)

i'm thinking with his foods to sticking to what he likes without trying NEW things, everytime i do he doesnt like it! I spent a fortune yesterday on new toddler foods in the baby isle and he hasnt liked anything so far.
He does prefer our homecooked meals which we have all the time but on the odd occassion we have takeout and I give him a toddler tin! He does like it but not all the time!

I'm thinking breakfast isnt his strong meal time! I should just be happy with the small amount he eats, but being the most important meal of the day i wish he would eat more!

Bek

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 11:54:25 am »
Hiya Bek - Max is only 2 days younger than Artemis and she eats apple no worries, in fact she stopped eating steamed apple and apple cubes/slices and now wants a huge 1/4 chunk of apple in her hands to chomp on!! She has never choked. I would kill for Raisin Toast - I lived on it when living in Oz!!
For breakie we have either porridge (homemade, 2 tablespoons Quaker rolled oats which I leave covered with boiling water while I go and dress LO, then heat it up in a saucepan with full fat milk - they absorb all the water and more of the milk), or Weetabix, just broken up with warm full fat milk. I am scared to add fruit to her breakfast food, as she eats it fine without and I don't want her to crave the sweet flavour over the milky flavour iykwim? Maybe I think about it too much ?? I just give her the fruit on the side (usually either a dried apricot cut in 4 or a dried prune cut in 4).
I also find she prefers home cooked meals rather than pre packaged stuff. Nice to know someone likes my cooking!! LOL
We are also off eggs til she has her allergy test as she was allergic thru my breastmilk, but can't wait for her to have scrambled eggs with us or french toast! It really unlimits breakfast time!!

Question for Amelia: Those muffins look delicious - do you think they would hold together without the egg added? Would the banana bind them enough? Also what's the difference between baking powder and baking soda? I have only found the soda here in Greece ::)

Mum101 - I found that the pushing of food out of the mouth was a sign of molar activity!! The gums are a bit tender to chew on or pass even mushed food over them - we had a few weeks of nonstop food pushing out, then it disappeared and the molars came thru a little while after.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:56:33 am by mini me »
Andi

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 01:33:19 am »
Hmmmm...have no idea about the egg...not sure if they would be cake-like without egg?  Is there an alternative, like egg-beaters or something??  Sorry I'm not more help.   Baking soda and baking powder are completely different things.  No baking powder??  That's so strange!  In the store it should be with the baking stuff...the flour and things like that.  Most baking recipes call for that, although I have no idea what it does...? Something to do with rising maybe??  :-\

Offline Rebecca247

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 02:38:17 am »
tried the apple slices this morning, he really liked them, I cut up thin slices when we went for our morning walk and he seemed to enjoy them alot!

Bek

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 05:00:01 am »
Mum101 - I found that the pushing of food out of the mouth was a sign of molar activity!! The gums are a bit tender to chew on or pass even mushed food over them - we had a few weeks of nonstop food pushing out, then it disappeared and the molars came thru a little while after.

Ah that's interesting. He has 12 teeth so far, waiting for the set of 4 incisor ones to come through (on top of being unwell and possibly dropping his second day nap!!).  The incisors are looking pretty close so perhaps they are bugging him.

Offline mini me

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 06:02:49 am »
Wow 12 already! We have 13 and the 3 incisors are bulging and causing a few probs (as usual) We got dinner refusal last night ::) I find it's better to ignore it as it's not a bad behaviour, just a phase iykwim? But it bottered me yesterday as I'd spent the day cooking and she flatly refused it - DH was hovering around waiting to polish off her dinner too!! At least he loved my cooking!!

I'm thinking to try giving her apple chunks with the skin and see if she goes for it or not - with her molars firmly in place, she has no reason not to be able to chew up the skin (they are just a little tough over here at the moment). I'll let you know! Well done Max for enjoying your apple slices (apple rings are also good and easy to hold - sliced the other way after using an apple corer).
Andi

Offline Rebecca247

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 06:53:55 am »
wow Max doesnt have that many teeth, he has the 4 across the top, 2 bottom ones, 2 molars and i think hes getting the 2 top molars (are they called molars) i'm not sure what teeth are called what....hehe

It is really annoying when you spend all day preparing something yummy thinking they will love it and they dont eat! Max had 2.5hrs sleep this arvo amd he has been very whingy the last hour, and he;s not like that usually so i think his teeth are bothering him! :) sometimes i wish they were just born with teeth, they would look pretty funny, it would save all this pain and discomfort for them!

Bek

Offline mini me

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 11:21:16 am »
sometimes i wish they were just born with teeth, they would look pretty funny, it would save all this pain and discomfort for them!
Yeah but I bet the amount of women breastfeeding would drop!! ::) The thought of putting a sensitive full boob into a pirahna (sp?) toothed mouth wouldn't be very appealing to me!!! LOL
Andi

Offline Rebecca247

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 12:05:54 pm »
hahahaha I didnt think of that, it wouldnt appeal to me either! :)

Bek

Offline hemz80

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Hema - Mummy to three gorgeous babies
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 12:19:10 pm »
marking a spot, come back and read/ post later x

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »
LOL at the baby born with teeth!  I'll be so glad when he gets these last 4!!  then I'll know for sure it's not teething, until the second year molars, which DD got at 1.5  ::)

re dinner refusal, I made the grown ups a new recipe, cauliflower and lentil dahl, but I told DD she might not like it, it was big ask, but to try a bite anyway in case we make it again. I'd planned on making DS a chicken meal with carrots and apple so figured she could have some of that. 

Well DS completely refused to touch it, DD LOVED the dahl  :o and refused to eat the chicken meal.  At least DH knew what was good for him and whatever he was given  :P