Author Topic: beetroot  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Spandanna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:45:48 am »

I've bought some beetroot and would love to give some to my 7 month old baby (who was weaned at 5 months and pretty much eats anything and everything) does anyone have any inspiring recipes that use beetroot? I'm struggling!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:36:40 am »
I used to mash them with potatoes. Not all that inspiring but never the less. :P They have a nice , sweet earthy taste. DS still loves beets and he started eating them pickled at about 2 yrs.  We can our own. I wanted to mention and maybe you are aware but for any others, that when preparing beets they are  messy and stain a lot on counters etc... If you can get them at the market already boiled, this helps out a lot in the preparation as it feels as if you have to boil the bu**ers forever!  Also don't panic when you see red/orange pee in the nappy/diaper or red/purple poos.  I still sometimes forget and have a mini panic attack with myself or DS that we are bleeding internally! ::) LOL!

Also wanted to mention to visit this fab website if you already haven't, they have loads of recipes and info but also recommend that many pediatricians suggest introducing beets between 8-10 months of age dues to nitrates. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/beetsbabyfoodrecipes.htm

A x

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:50:43 am »
Thanks. I took a look at the website, it's great!

I know what you mean about the staining though!

Thanks again

Offline kikoz

• Chris
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Grateful for every moment
Re: beetroot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 18:18:34 pm »
Hi beetroot, peeled and boiled with pear , some mint leaves, feta cheese and sunflower seeds if you like :) yummy! ;)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 18:21:43 pm »
I would just dice it into small finger food pieces and steam it up in a bamboo steamer.  DS LOVED it, and he still does!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012