Author Topic: Spit up / throw up / burping issues  (Read 1066 times)

Offline TRR

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Spit up / throw up / burping issues
« on: December 12, 2011, 20:04:59 pm »
Our 4 w DD is hard to get all burps out most of the time. She is showing some improvment since birht but still having difficulties. She will give 1 burp usually after the first breast, but only 50% time give another after second. She does spit out undigested milk occasionally with burping about 1 - 2 tbsp. I know she is needing more because if she goes to sleep shortly afterwards she will wake 90% time crying in 15 -30 min. She will have spit out curdled or none digested milk and when we pick her up she will usually give us a huge burp than settle fairly quickly after it comes out.
I have tried to do the rub back burping but she doesn't really like gets worked up with and not seaming to work. I find high on th shoulder works best with firm pats.
Are there any suggestions advice for burping or what might we check to see could be going on? 
Thanks
Tracy
Tracy
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman exist

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 20:46:12 pm »
I found that I could burp for a half hour after a feed and get no wind up but it was only once I lay her down and abotu half an hour later she'd be squriming and I'd lift her and like your finding she'd then either burp or fart and get rid of lots of wind.  I think its just when the milk starts to digest then some trapped air gets released and then they need to get rid of it.  And i found there was very little i could do to get it up before that point.  HTH xx

Offline TRR

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Spit up / throw up / burping issues
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:12:49 am »
How long did it last for? I am hoping it will get better in a month or so once digestive system bit stronger.
Tracy
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman exist

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:25 am »
It did get better about 8 weeks or so.  For now she is still so little.   I incined my DDs moses basket and that helped ease things a bit.  I used gripe water before a feed from 4 weeks and that helped too x

Offline TRR

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Spit up / throw up / burping issues
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 20:11:18 pm »
I did get grip water and 1/4 tsp really does help to settler her but I was not sure how often was ok to give. I think I will try to give at the afternoon feed becasue the afternoon is when she starts to get really winded up. I did that today as we had a 3hour very fussy up down nap time and like 5 min after taking it she calmed down and slept very soundly for 2 hours till the next feed. Had to wake her. She was very content for the feed burped better and was content to stay up a bit longer and enjoyed bath time. Went to sleep no problem after. So her is hoping that a bit of grip water and sticking to a routine will help. Thanks for the info.
Tracy

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 14:47:56 pm »
My DD1 was very gassy and when she turned 3months I went on a gluten free diet and her gassiness disappeared.  My DD2 was and still is gassy at 8monhts and changing my diet didn't seem to make a difference.  I did notice a big improvement after she turned 4 months or so.  She's still a bit gassy at 8 mnths but she can burp herself as she can sit on her own. 

When they are little try carrying them upright without applying pressure to their tummy or putting them in a bouncy chair/swing where their ribcage can push down on their tummies for about 30 minutes.  I have to say changing positions helps to burp like lying them down then picking them can get them to burp.  I also used to burp high on my shoulder and pushing uptheir feet with my hand into a squating position and my DDs would push down with their feet against my hand which would help them burp.

I also gave gripe but only very little and only if they very gassy at night because I'm not sure how safe it is.  Also remember many babies are fussy in the late afternoon/early evening which gets better after 6/8 weeks or so.