Author Topic: giving formula after introducing solids....  (Read 1219 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
giving formula after introducing solids....
« on: July 26, 2012, 15:27:07 pm »
hey i have been EBF.

i'm feeling a bit strapped with it and even though we are pretty much on a 4 hr EASY i sometimes need to nurse her an add'l time in that period to help get thru nap, etc. She is a not a huge eater and even in the am sometimes will only take one breast.

anyway, i will be starting solids or BLW at 6 months. She turns 6 mo on august 19th and  i see her pedi on the 21st. i don't plan to start until i see her pedi. anyway, last time i talked to the pedi we were talking about most of the benefit w/ BF is the first 4-6 months.

so after we start solids - it shouldn't matter if i give her a bottle of formula every once in a while right? I'm at the point where i need to get out of the house and SHOP or run errands, have a MNO with my friends, or  do something with my DS (like go to the movies, splash park, etc) and i don't think i could pump enough anyway at this point.  I also think it would be good for Dh and ds if they could give the bottle. DH doesn't seem as connected to her  - prob bc he mainly deals with my DS when i'm home and i tend to the baby.

so just curious what everyone thinks....
heather

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: giving formula after introducing solids....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 15:51:59 pm »
This FAQ is great about benefits of feeding past 6 months and beyond - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65363.0

And this article gives the benefits of BF for any length of time, including past 2 years - http://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html

Obviously the choice is yours.
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 16:14:01 pm »
yea i know all that. i guess does giving a bottle of formula every once in a while matter if you are already introducing solids?

interesting, we have no food allergies in our family but my DS who was exclusively BF until solids and then i gave him formula (rarely) around 8 months-12 months - and i nursed for 13 months - developed eczema and tree nut allergies!!!!! so frustrating.

heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 16:22:13 pm »
Yup, that's got to be annoying!!

Whether it matters, I guess, is about how you view formula and what it contains compared with breastmilk and whether you're making an informed decision to offer formula instead of a BF.

For me, formula costs too much, is inconvenient (I hate washing up/sterilising) and I didn't want to give it to DD after having almost been forced to give it to DS as I wasn't offered sufficient BF support with him.  Also I liked the concept of BLW being an extension of BF in that LO has an element of control over when they are full.  FF counterparts often don't have that down so well as they don't get the "full" signal when feeding from a bottle because it's a constant stream of milk rather than having to suck to get it.

But those are just my reasons.  Your reasons for thinking of offering a FF are valid in that you would like your DH to be involved in some of the feeding and you'd like to be able to go out and leave DD without having to express.  Is she happy enough taking a bottle now?
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 18:10:03 pm »
she has taken several bottles no problem in the past with BM but haven't tried in a while! need to try soon. i think she will be OK.  (so obviously we already have bottles at the ready)

i think since she will be 99% BF i think one bottle every now and then is OK with me....

not sure i'll do BLW yet - haven't had much time to read it and gonna discuss with my pedi at her next appt
heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 18:12:58 pm »
It's really great.  I totally love it, especially with another child around.  The theory is that they can actually avoid foods which may cause them problems, which I find astounding!  But does mean they can just have what everyone else is having without too much extra time being involved in preparation/cooking.
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 18:13:28 pm »
i know that is why it sounds great!
heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 18:14:09 pm »
:)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 02:42:33 am »
Dd1 had some formula after 7ish months which was fine.  If you're thinking along the lines of the virgin gut, I would guess that it's already been compromised once you introduce solids so the formula wouldn't make a difference.  That's just my opinion though.  :)  If it works for you, go for it.  :)

Offline nona

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:38:27 am »
Yes that's exactly my concern
heather

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 07:54:42 am »
If you're thinking along the lines of the virgin gut, I would guess that it's already been compromised once you introduce solids so the formula wouldn't make a difference.  That's just my opinion though.  :)  If it works for you, go for it.  :)

This is my view too x
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline nona

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 20:47:01 pm »
thx ladies, feel about guilty about it so i'm perfectly capable of BFing but i'd like to be able to get more and get my family more involved.
heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 21:45:44 pm »
No guilt, Heather.  You do what you need to do.  :-*
*** Amanda ***