Author Topic: How much formula?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Metstark

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
How much formula?
« on: August 17, 2006, 00:17:16 am »
Hi, I just started my 4 mth old ds on rice cereal for breakfast and lunch (about 2 tsp each serving) on the advice of my doctor, but I am confused as to how much formula he should be getting also. He is a very large baby, 20 lbs 8 oz, which is why my doctor wanted to start him on solids so he isn't guzzling so much formula. He was drinking 6-8 oz 4 times a day and an additional bottle (of the same amount) at around 11 pm. I was instructed to drop the 11 pm feed, which has been fine with ds, he just goes back to sleep with his paci. So now he only has 4 bottles a day. I don't want this to be counterproductive, in that I am giving him even more calories with the cereal feedings and a large bottle, but I don't know what to do. My lo doesn't show signs of fullness. I read that babies just know how much to drink, but he drinks too much and then cries for more, then he will spit up a lot. If I distract him he is fine and forgets about the bottle and doesn't act hungry so I think he just likes having the bottle for comfort. I have been giving him less in his bottles, around 4-5 oz when I feed him the cereal, but I am keeping the other 2 bottles the same, does this sound right? Do I slowly give more cereal and less bottle? How low does the amount of the bottle have to go? It is really hard to judge this because it seems I have been overfeeding him all along!! Someone please help! ???

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: How much formula?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 00:33:38 am »
His formula is the most important for him so try and get as much into him as you possible can. Can i ask the reason your doctor suggested putting him on solids so young? Could you post your routine please with amounts of formula her feed.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Metstark

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:53:44 am »
Hi, I assume since he is gaining weight really fast that the doctor thought it would be best to put him on solids and cut back on the formula. He seems to like the rice cereal a lot and can eat it easily. Our routine is as follows

7am -2 tsp cereal 6-7 oz bottle

7:30 A

9- nap(usually for only 30-45 min :()

11am-2 tsp cereal 5 oz bottle

11:30 A

1pm- nap

3pm- 6-7 oz bottle

3:30 A

4:30 catnap in stroller on walk

6:00 bath

6:30- 6-7 oz bottle

7-bedtime

I was giving him a bottle at 11 pm, but stopped on the advice of the doctor. My lo seems to be sleeping just as fine without the extra bottle. I think he was waking then and I was automatically feeding him when he didn't need it. If he does wake, I just change his diaper and lay him back down and he goes back to sleep sometimes with or without his paci. He doesn't give off full ques and I have given him 9 oz at a feeding before and he will drink it down happily and then spit up a lot after over and over. It is hard for me to judge. I believe he likes the comforting of the bottle too and that is what leads to the overfeeding!

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 22:16:20 pm »
The amount of formula you are giving looks fine to me. At 4months my DD was only having 4 bottles a day.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Metstark

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:30:25 am »
Ok, Thanks!

Offline bellymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 20:31:09 pm »
Hey
That sounds fabulous that he sleeps through 12 hours without needing any food (even with the paci at 11pm, that is just great, congratulations!).
My 4 1/2 month old was sleeping through from 7pm till 5am with a DF at 11pm from about 3months until about 4 months  but suddenly regressed and is now again waking every 3-4 hours for feeds in the night. He is also a big baby and weighs about 18 pounds now.

I think I am going to see if I try what you did with the changing the diaper and giving the paci when he wakes around 11pm and see what happens.
I must say, my doctor too told me initially that he cant get too much so feed him until he doesnt want anymore and I ended up overfeeding him so much that he got really fat....so he did not stop when he was full! He also then spat up some of it.
Then the pediatrician told me not to exceed 32 oz per day and also told me at 4months to start solids. For the moment, he does not like taking the cereal on aaspoon and since I have read its a really bad idea to give it in the bottle, I have just left it for the moment. I read that they need the formula nutrients a lot more than the unnutritious rice cereal.

But I really need to achieve 2 things:

1. sleeping through the night again
2. longer naps as my son suffers from the 45 minute thing.

If anyone can help I'd be really appreciative.

Hi, I assume since he is gaining weight really fast that the doctor thought it would be best to put him on solids and cut back on the formula. He seems to like the rice cereal a lot and can eat it easily. Our routine is as follows

7am -2 tsp cereal 6-7 oz bottle

7:30 A

9- nap(usually for only 30-45 min :()

11am-2 tsp cereal 5 oz bottle

11:30 A

1pm- nap

3pm- 6-7 oz bottle

3:30 A

4:30 catnap in stroller on walk

6:00 bath

6:30- 6-7 oz bottle

7-bedtime

I was giving him a bottle at 11 pm, but stopped on the advice of the doctor. My lo seems to be sleeping just as fine without the extra bottle. I think he was waking then and I was automatically feeding him when he didn't need it. If he does wake, I just change his diaper and lay him back down and he goes back to sleep sometimes with or without his paci. He doesn't give off full ques and I have given him 9 oz at a feeding before and he will drink it down happily and then spit up a lot after over and over. It is hard for me to judge. I believe he likes the comforting of the bottle too and that is what leads to the overfeeding!

Offline bellymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 15:29:07 pm »
My schedule is something like this right now:

6.15 am   Breast feed until we fall off to sleep on the breast in my bed till about 7.45am
7.45 A
9.45 - 10.30 nap
10.30am  Formula 4.5 or 5 oz max
11 A
1pm - 1.45 nap
A
3pm  Formula 4 oz
A
3.45pm -4.30pm  nap
6.pm  Formula 4 oz
A
6.30pm bath ritual with massage
7.15pm Formula 3.5 oz
7.30 pm bed
10 pm Formula 2 oz
3am Formula 3 oz

Offline samijoe

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 16:19:55 pm »
all you need to do is switch to a proper 4 hour EASY.  The 3 hr EASY is not what he needs anymore.
by doing that you will fix the 45 min. naps, and he will once again sleep thru the night.
 ;D

Offline bellymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 18:43:53 pm »
Wow Samijoe, your confidence gives me a lot of hoep. Thanks I am going to do that immediately.
Will keep ya posted.

Offline samijoe

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 19:21:35 pm »
The 4 hr EASY has longer A times...which in turn will make him hungrier to take the feedings of a proper size.  I've seen lots of great advice given to you...

Now take it and run with it!
Tracy's book does have a transition from 3 to 4hr to follow...um...it takes 15 days i believe. 

good luck.

Offline samijoe

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 19:23:17 pm »
oh metstark:
i want to say that at 4 months my lo was only on 4 bottles and no df.

keep up the great work! ;D

Offline bellymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 20:17:17 pm »
The 4 hr EASY has longer A times...which in turn will make him hungrier to take the feedings of a proper size.  I've seen lots of great advice given to you...

Now take it and run with it!
Tracy's book does have a transition from 3 to 4hr to follow...um...it takes 15 days i believe. 

good luck.

Samijoe, is this the first baby wwhisperer book you refer to or should I be reading another one?

Offline samijoe

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 20:23:25 pm »
Um,
mines called The Baby Whisperer...Solves All Your Problems..it is the latest one i think.

Offline bellymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 15:27:05 pm »
Just wanted to let you guys know that yesterday I moved to the 4 hour EASY, really easily! The first gap was 3 3/4 hours and the next was after 4 hours without a problem. As a result he ate 7oz!!! and 7.5 oz at the next!!! Needless to say I am delighted.

I also only settle dhim in the night (after a DF at 10.30 of 4 oz) instead of feeding him. It worked, although he kept me up a lot as he was rolling over and crying many times, as he could not get back. But he finally woke again at 6.15 am and I fed him.

So thank you very much.

Offline Metstark

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 15:28:36 pm »
Hi, I haven't been on the website for a couple weeks and was surprised at all the new posts under this topic! That's great! I am happy to report that ds is still sleeping 12 hrs (with occasional night wakings for paci, but then right back to sleep :)). He is also starting to nap longer through the day, up to 1.5 hrs! He is still on 4 bottles and goes all night without any feeding. He seems to be very happy on this routine! Thanks again for the advice!

Offline bellymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 18:45:54 pm »
grt news~! you must be so relieved. How old is you LO now that he has started taking longer naps?If its anything near 5.5 months, would you mind posting your schedule please, so I can learn. THank you
Belly :)

Offline Metstark

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 20:51:48 pm »
Hi Bellymum! My lo is 5 mths and 1 week! He just started his napping only about a week ago! He used to nap maybe 30-45 min and then cry and not want to go back to sleep. I don't know if it is just him getting older that is making him nap longer or the fact that we have successfully got him sleeping in his crib exclusively when he used to sleep in our bed or in our arms for naps. Our schedule is as follows:

6:30 am cereal and bottle
He then usually plays for about 2 or 2.5 hrs than I put him down for a nap.
He will sleep up to 1.5 hrs.
More activity
10:30 am veggie and bottle
Plays again for another 2-2.5 hrs (I can tell when he starts rubbing eyes and getting really cranky that it's nap time!)
Sleep for up to another 1.5 hrs
Activity
2:30 pm fruit and bottle
Activity
Car ride or walk in stroller for catnap (about 45 min)
Activity
6 pm bath time
6:30 pm bottle
7 pm bed

The only things I have set in stone are the feeding times and bedtime and wakeup time. They are usually like clockwork. I just go by how cranky he gets as to when to put him down for a nap. A little trick I do is when I think he is tired, I lightly run my hand over his forehead and down his face barely touching him and he will close his eyes and keep them shut for a second or so if he is tired and fling them back open if not. It might seem weird but it works! Hope this helps!!  :)

Offline Metstark

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 20:54:06 pm »
Oh one more thing, I changed his routine a bit from when he was 4 mths because he would rather wake up at 6 or 6:30 am instead of 7 so I just put everything back a bit to go with his natural wake up time. :)

Offline bellymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 21:59:31 pm »
Hi Bellymum! My lo is 5 mths and 1 week! He just started his napping only about a week ago! He used to nap maybe 30-45 min and then cry and not want to go back to sleep. I don't know if it is just him getting older that is making him nap longer or the fact that we have successfully got him sleeping in his crib exclusively when he used to sleep in our bed or in our arms for naps. Our schedule is as follows:

6:30 am cereal and bottle
He then usually plays for about 2 or 2.5 hrs than I put him down for a nap.
He will sleep up to 1.5 hrs.
More activity
10:30 am veggie and bottle
Plays again for another 2-2.5 hrs (I can tell when he starts rubbing eyes and getting really cranky that it's nap time!)
Sleep for up to another 1.5 hrs
Activity
2:30 pm fruit and bottle
Activity
Car ride or walk in stroller for catnap (about 45 min)
Activity
6 pm bath time
6:30 pm bottle
7 pm bed

The only things I have set in stone are the feeding times and bedtime and wakeup time. They are usually like clockwork. I just go by how cranky he gets as to when to put him down for a nap. A little trick I do is when I think he is tired, I lightly run my hand over his forehead and down his face barely touching him and he will close his eyes and keep them shut for a second or so if he is tired and fling them back open if not. It might seem weird but it works! Hope this helps!!  :)

Thanks so much, it is really, really helpful. How funny my LO is also 5 months and 1 week old (yesterday)! We are way behind you on feedings as he is only taking some rice cereal at the moment.  I would love him to sleep longer than 42 minutes at a time, although he doesn't seem to be cranky or any worse for wear, but it just makes me a bit concerned that he only sleeps 42 minutes at a time and often goes even 3 hours before sleeping, after waking up in the AM at 6.30am. He also goes quite long without napping inbetween his early afternoon nap and his bedtime, unless I really have success in him taking a late afternoon nap too (4th nap of the day). ALL our naps are 42 minutes. It looks like you seem to go quite long in middl eof day without napping for up to even 3 hours. Is that correct?

We also have a 6.30am wake up time, but my LO does not seem hungry then so I only feed him at 7am (although he does not always seem too hungry then either:).
Congrats on transitioning to crib! That must have been a big thing for you. How are his nights?

My LO has been in his crib since 6 weeks and is now sleeping through from about 7.00-7.30pm until 6.30am with a DF at 10.30pm. He wakes once or twice a night briefly and then goes back to sleep. Last night i swaddled him at 3.30 am and he put himself straight back to sleep.

I would love to succeed in havin ghis naps longer, but without messing up nights. ANy suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 22:37:28 pm by bellymum »

Offline Metstark

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 22:34:03 pm »
Hi Bellymum, yes you are right he does go sometimes 3 hrs without a nap and sometimes longer! When he does take his 1.5 hr naps usually I have to go in at the 45 min mark (he starts whining) and put his pacifier back in. He can put himself back to sleep at night without it but during the day he seems to really need it. So he doesn't usually sleep for a straight 1.5 hrs unless I go in and help him back to sleep. Today though I went in at the 45 min mark when I heard him crying a bit and he still had his eyes closed and was putting himself back to sleep without his paci! I was so happy for him! I then snuck out again. He too would sleep for only 30 or 45 min without my intervention. I came to a decision that he wasn't being very restored or happy after his naps so I decided to try and get him to sleep longer if he woke early. I would try for 15 min and if he didn't go back to sleep then I would get him up and try again later. He seems to always go back to sleep now though.

We started feeding him solids at 4 mths on the advice of our doctor because our lo weighs 20 lbs and was getting quite big. We dropped the dream feed at 11 pm also on the advice of the doctor. He now sleeps all night only waking occasionally and then goes right back to sleep. When we were giving him the dreamfeed he would keep waking every 2 hrs or so. I guess you would have to ask your doctor what is best for your lo.

I too was worried about longer naps during the day messing up the nights but it didn't happen with us. He sleeps the same amount at night no matter how many or how little naps he has. He does seem to go to sleep easier at naps and at night if he has had a long previous nap. If he gets overtired he just tosses around for quite awhile and whines or cries. He is in his crib in our room so I lay on the bed while he falls asleep so I can make sure he is asleep and if he needs his paci or some reassurance. I hope this helps, Good luck with the naps. Remember that we just started getting his naps to work well the last couple days so there is hope for you and your lo too!!! :)