Author Topic: 3 year old night wakings.  (Read 658 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
3 year old night wakings.
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:22:49 am »
DD is 3 as of Oct.  And since late Aug she has been having 2 or more night wakings a night.  In the last 2.5 months there have been 2 nights she hasn't had night wakings.  It first they started because she was scared.  But I'm pretty sure that this has calmed down significantly and that her night wakings now are habit.  When she wakes she comes to our room.  We always get up and take her back to her bed.  She even leads the way  :)  When DH takes her she goes right back to bed but when I take her back she insists I stay.  If I don't she doesn't go back to bed and will lay there happily for 30-45min and then come to our room every 5 min.  She also won't let DH take her back to bed after the first time.  habits.  I lie next to her bed on the floor because she takes about 2 min to go back to sleep whereas if I don't then we get the other scenario I mentioned.  Generally night wakings happen any where betweem 2-3am and then again anywhere between 5-6am.  give or take.  sometimes we are unlucky and they begin at 12:30.  nothing consistent each night.  We talk during the day about what we are supposed to do when we wake at night and she has all the right answers but still comes to us.  I'm not sure what approach to take.  routine?  she has a set bed time of 7-7:30 depending on how long it takes her to fall asleep. wakes anywhere from 6:30 to 8 depending on time and length of night wakings.  no nap but I have to try hard to keep her awake during the after school pick up for DD1.   She comes out of her bedroom a few times at night before actually falling asleep.  Usually takes about 5-10min to fall asleep.  She is tired.  She shares a room with DD1.  hence the reason I haven't done WI/WO or other things.  being quiet in the middle of the night is very important for DD1 and so I feel a bit stuck with the situation.  advice?  I kind of feel like there's nothing to do hence the reason for the post.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 3 year old night wakings.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 22:38:55 pm »
Hmm do you think you have become a prop of sorts? Not sure how to rectify it with your DD1 in the room as anything different is probably not going to go over well. What about gw if you laid down further and further away from her bed?
Heidi

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 22:45:58 pm »
Yes.  I'm a prop!  I did try gw but after getting half way and her not going to sleep I have up.  I will try again! Last night she woke at 3:50. Dh took her back and she came in again 20 min later,  Then 10 min later do I took hey back and lay by her.  Took her 30 min to fall asleep and then she woke an hour later :-( 
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 17:17:58 pm »
Yeah I would give gw if you are ready to follow through. Any way to maybe have DD1 sleep elsewhere? Or use white noise to block anything out for her?
Heidi