Author Topic: 23mo in a mess.  (Read 1893 times)

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:10:05 am »
My DD has always been lsn however we cant seem to find a balance for her.
since 18mo her nights started getting shorter and bt refusal was terrible, we just plodding on in the hope it would correct itself and tried to stick to a 7.30 wu, 1.30-3 nap, 8.30 bt. Then she started refusing naps more on top of bt, we let her try for 45mIn take her out and have quiet time in my bed watchimg tv and spmetimes she will drop off then. This is the last few days, last night was terrible and shes very tired today, im not going to be surprised if we still have naptime and bt refusal though.

WU 8.40
NO NAP       - 10hr 50 day - slept 12.5hrs
BT 7.30

WU 8.15
Nap 2.35 -3.10 (35 mins)  - 13hr day -       
BT 9.15                     slept -10.5hr - 1NW

1.30 - 2.30 (1hr)  - 13.5hr day - slept 11 -
9.10                        1 NW

2.35-3.10 ( 35min)  - 14 hr day - slept 9
10.30                          3 nws

Every nap day we did pt at a 12hr day  and none of her naps were in cot :-(

I can't MAKE her sleeo but im out of ideas how to help her.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 23mo in a mess.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:34:51 am »
If she is LSN then it's not crazy early to be starting to drop the nap. By this age my dd was napping much later in the day and for a shorter time, with a much later BT.

Have you read this, I find it realy helpful:

The 1-0 transition...Advice and Tips to help you through.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:40:48 am »
My DD was the same at 2 and we had dropped the nap totally by not long after she turned 2. We found that although the end of the day was tough for a while (couldn't take her out in the car near tea time or she would fall asleep!) she was much better overall for having no nap and a decent bedtime and good night than the nap and a late bedtime.

She was getting the same sleep overall with nap and shorter night or decent night but the better night was more restorative for her.

Laura

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:59:26 pm »
Thank you both.
I did have a nosey at the link, that's why ive been trying quiet  time in bed (simalar to sofa idea) just so she has a little nap when she refuses in cot. Even after a 9hr night I can not get her to settle. Its really begining to stress me out, she will seem tired as soon as shes in her cot she jumps around, sings, does rolly pollies she willl do anything not to sleep, then any nap I get her to take makes bedtime stupidly late. Shes always been a bad sleeper but this is definitely the most stressed out we have been with her. 
I was thinking of trying cold turkey with nnds as thats what we had to do during the 2-1 early on. She tacked on great a few days ago but she's never done more than 11hrs before that night so I really dont know if she will tack on agaun like that.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 07:40:49 am »
We has to do NNDs straight away too, but I do ding if DD really needs some quiet time she will be more likely to so so in the living room than in her cot. Cot just means bed and sleep to her and she got frustrated at being in it when she didn't want to sleep.
~ Naomi ~

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 08:02:02 am »
How old was you LO when you dropped it?
I think alot of the bedtime fighting is because we cant wind her down before bed, she use to have bath, pjs, drink, brush teeth,3 stories, song and into cot. Now pjs are a wresting match, books involve her shouting she wamts to read them herself, but them she gets stressed out when given them. Undistandably shes worked up before even going into her cot.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 08:07:28 am »
We started moving naps later and later (or she did really) around about 16 months and then we started getting NNDs around 2yrs and 2 months. Now at 2 yrs and 7 months we've just had 8 NNDs in a row for the first time. So still on the path to dropping it. I really have had to let go of any expectations of planning when and how and just go with her, this has seemed so much less stressful really than when I tried to manage the precious transitions.

Some of that behaviour around BT does sound like she might be OT. If she misses a Nap, are you bringing BT earlier? I do find now that wind down is much more spirited than it used to be.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 11:22:26 am »
Could you have a touch of 2 yr SR going on? We had terrible nap/ BT battles at that age and now they seem to have passed at 24.5 months...plus I've spied 2 half cut molars so maybe or phase had touch of those not helping too!
Just an idea ;-) x
Zoe

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 15:14:26 pm »
I do think its a mix of her being lsn, her spirtedness, OT, maybe a little teething (meds dont help) and development.
Im guessing all I can do is ride it out and see where we are in a few weeks/months.
So say I aim for a 11hr day if NND, between 12-13hr day if she naps between 30-90min. Shes not had over an hours nap for weeks due to the time she finally falls asleep at naptime. Shall I comtinue not to let nap wu be later than 3.30? It usually means her max nap is 1hr. If ive a rough plan I may not stress as much, its then just having the bt battle. Is there any way of doing a different wind down? I think its not working as shes being little miss independent at the moment.