Author Topic: reusable vs disposable nursing pads  (Read 4039 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
reusable vs disposable nursing pads
« on: August 13, 2011, 14:03:58 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the reusable nursing/breast pads- you know the ones you pop into your bra to catch the leaks (i'm not sure if they have different names in different places!)?

I currently use disposable ones but go through them pretty fast (2-4 pads per day.. ). They aren't soaked each time- but usually have some milk there... Have people found that the reusable ones work- how long can you wear them for- ie. how much do they hold before changing?

I'm just thinking that they may be cheaper in the long run- and more environmentally sound- but i'm not interested if they are going to not work or be a whole lot of hassle!!

Thanks
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: reusable vs disposable nursing pads
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 14:31:36 pm »
I've used the reusable ones but not until later on when my supply has leveled off.  The problem with the reusable ones is that if you leak a lot you just leak right through them.  They are a good long term solution though.  And you'll less as time goes on too!

Offline mamaJulie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 15:06:03 pm »
I have reusable ones, but never ended up using them because they are thicker and show through! Also, leaking was much less of an issue this time around. :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 22:59:40 pm »
thanks! I might wait then- for that magic time in the future when my supply levels off!! I'd hate hate hate to leak through!! It's bad enough getting about the place with milk vomit on your shoulder permanently- let alone big milk patches on your boobs!! I might check them out tho and see which are thinnest- the showing through is a bit of a pain!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline toffer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 19:24:52 pm »
I used both and saved the disposables for going out in public as they did show less. I liked the comfort of the reusables and changed them a couple times a day. It is nice to finally stop leaking though!

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 19:37:50 pm »
I used disposables with dd1, but used reusables with dd2 - I had several different kinds, some showed through more than others (it also seemed to depend on what bra I was wearing).  I like them - more cost effective and better for the environment.  Sometimes I did have to change them during the day if I was leaking a lot.
Michelle

Offline Kiwi_one

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:46:02 am »
The problem with the reusable ones is that if you leak a lot you just leak right through them.
Yep, had/have that problem big-time. As toffer suggested, you could use cloth at home and save disposables for going out; while you're at home you can stem the tide on the side bub's not feeding on during the initial letdown to avoid the cloth soaking through by pressing on that nipple. I often don't even wear pads at home with that trick. Handy if you accidentally leave the house without pads in too!

Alternatively, there are reusable silicone pads that apply pressure so you don't leak at all! http://www.simplylily.com/product1.html I've not tried them but if they work, they would be incredibly cost-effective and convenient.
Homeschooling mum to Philomena (6) - spirited/sanguine     Bernadette (4) - textbook/melancholic-plegmatic     Zelie (3) - textbook/phlegmatic     Rita (2) - textbook/choleric

...and then there were five!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:41:17 am »
Ooh.. I'll check those out... I bought some avent ones and they're ok... Think I'll do the in the house reusable and going out disposable.. The tomee tippee ones are bigger and may not show as much... Thanks!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 23:59:22 pm »
I don't bother at home sometimes either -- after having mastitis 3 times I started sleeping braless so when he feeds at night and first thing in the AM, I just use a burp cloth to catch the leakage.  :)

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:02:05 am »
I just ordered the lilypadz. Will let you know how they work.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:46:19 am »
Lilypadz... well my friend swears by them. They were great for me while pregnant (leaked from 18 weeks pg ::) ), terrible once my milk came in as I was so leaky :(

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:56:55 am »
I much prefer disposable ones. You can get organic nature-friendly ones. The washable ones don't stay in place, they show and get lost in the wash somehow  ::)

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 09:18:38 am »
Lilypadz worked great for me. They don't show through AT ALL and you can just rinse them under the tap and reuse straight away.

Offline APethybridge

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »
I used Lilypadz for about a week but they were a disaster as I was leaking so much the dam burst, so to speak! I may well try them again now that my milk supply has settled a lot more.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 18:57:44 pm »
If you're having big problems with leakage (especially from the other side while you're feeding), another option is breast shells.  If you sterilise them before hand you can empty out the milk to use later!!  In the early days I'd get over 1oz that way :o

But they come with the warning that you're not meant to use them longer term as the pressure of the rubber part on the breast can stimulate milk production, which you might not want if you're leaking like crazy already
*** Amanda ***