Author Topic: Refusing Breast  (Read 993 times)

Offline loula

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 15, 2012, 13:27:42 pm »
Hi everyone. has a major drama this morning. I should start by telling you that my dd is 10weeks today and has never had a problem with breastfeeding. She gets one bottle of expressed milk around midnight which my hubby gives her. So she had the bottle as usual at 1am. Then i fed her at 4am and again at 6:30am. We woke for her feed at 9:30am and completly refused point blank to feed off me. I tried everything. She was absolutly screaming her head off. As soon as id pick her and put her on my shoulder she would stop crying, and then when i would turn her into feeding position she would start screaming again. I had a small amount of expressed milk in a bottle so i tried her with that and she stated sucking straight away, so i knew she was hungry. Tried and tried and tried to feed her and every time she would just scream uncontrollably. I had some cartons of formula that i bought in the event that i couldnt feed. She took the bottle no problems and was all smiles throughout. I kept trying to switch back to breast and it would have the same outcome - screaming her head off. Can anyone tell me has this happened to them before? I feel awful about it...Any comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Refusing Breast
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 16:46:09 pm »
Hi there!  (((hugs)))) sounds like a rough morning!
Have you been able to feed her from the breast again since?  Sometimes babies just get picky about things -- keep trying, let us know how it goes.
Could be that she's developing a bottle preference, could be something bothering her, could be absolutely nothing. 

Offline loula

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 18:14:52 pm »
I dont think its a preference to the bottle as shes always had one bottle at night and has never refused before. She fed twice after she had her bottle last night then 3 hours later she decided she hated the breast! She refused to latch all day. I fed her some expressed milk this evening and after she had the bottle and was happy out i picked her up in a rugby hold and walked around and low and behold she latched on!! So i lay on the bed with her and she fed away. I had a bath with her then to get some skin on skin contact and she really enjoyed it. Shes asleep now, so please say a prayer for me that she'll latch again!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 20:33:19 pm »
Ooh, hope it continues!  Other positions are a good idea!

Offline loula

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:24:06 am »
Just to let you know, ive had 5 successful feeds with her since i posted, so hopefully everything is back to normal. Still being cautious with her though and taking everything nice and slow.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »
Glad to hear!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?