Author Topic: Percentage drop at 6 month appt  (Read 1440 times)

atlantamomofthree

Percentage drop at 6 month appt
« on: March 16, 2012, 20:19:12 pm »
I am irritated right now...more so with myself for caring  ::), but also with the doctor's office's for their use of a "standard" growth chart instead a BF or FF based on the child's eating habits. Ya know?!

Samuel, at his 6 month appt today, was 17 lbs and 26.5 in long. This put him in the 37% for weight and 49% for height. REALLY?! 17 lbs is smaller than 63% of other babies his age? I just find that hard to believe. Or either I'm just out of the loop for how big babies actually are around me...

So, my older ds was 20 lbs at his 6 month appt but he was totally different than Samuel. He nursed to sleep and he was less active. Sam eats, has loads of activity, and then sleeps a while later. He's going to weigh less-that's a given because he's burning more calories, but do you think most babies FTS, so that's why the big difference?

I felt so good about 17 lbs before they told me where that "put" him.... :-\ Dr said he's growing fine, it just bugs me...can you tell? :P

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
Re: Percentage drop at 6 month appt
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 20:28:08 pm »
(((((((hugs))))))) Don't pay any attention to the silly numbers :P You have a happy, healthy baby and that's what counts!

Sorry this is bugging you though. :-*

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 20:29:30 pm »
Ah, as the mum of two babies who "failed to thrive" I so know that concern of dropping of centiles.

So good that you know and realise why he's dropped a bit (lots of activity!), but completely appreciate the pressure.

Growth charts are a range of "normal".  For some, normal is 90th centile, for others, 9th (or lower) is.

FWIW, my DD has FTS and co-slept and whatnot, but she's never been massive and was probably lower on the centile chart when doing that more than she is now that we don't.

People (babies and adults) grow at different rates, but you already know that ;) :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 20:33:08 pm »
Growth charts are a range of "normal".  For some, normal is 90th centile, for others, 9th (or lower) is.
^^^This

I hate the way they say 'she's only on the 25th centile' and i have to then say but she is following a curve and you aren't even using a BF feeding chart.

GRRRR..

I stopped going to weigh in clinic after my DD2's 4 month check up and decided to just go with my gut and she is just fine!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 22:40:35 pm »
Thanks ladies.
I forgot to say that at his 4 month he was 48%, so down 11% supposedly. But his birth weight was 7lbs12oz, so he has more than doubled in 6 months.  :)

I stopped going to weigh in clinic after my DD2's 4 month check up and decided to just go with my gut and she is just fine!

I'm thinking I need to ignore all future "results" too. I knew before going today that he was 17lbs because a few days ago I put him on our scale here, and it's a nice one so I felt pretty confident with the number-and it was right, so I'll justgo by what he weighs at home from now on.

I hate that I feel like my pride took a hit today.  :-\ I am a very confident, happy BF'ing mama and always have been. This just kinda bummed me out.

Well, I can look on the bright side-those NF'ings aren't 'unnecessary' calories! Haha ;) Normally it's DF and then another feed at 2 or 3 and again around 6. Though, of course, last night he went from the Df (which wasn't really since he woke to be fed at DF time ::)) until 5:30. Funny how things change so quickly.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 23:05:01 pm »
I hate that I feel like my pride took a hit today.   I am a very confident, happy BF'ing mama and always have been. This just kinda bummed me out.
I totally get this.  My DD1 was 99%  for weight and height and it was such a shock when DD2 started at 75th and went to 50 the 11th then finally settled at 25th.  But the weight drop did make me feel I was doing something wrong. 

{{{{hugs}}} and LOL on the NFs....thats how i justified not weaning them too early!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 00:38:29 am »
I've had one LO range from the 20-40 percentile for weight, one that consistently was at about the 50th, despite being nearly off the charts for height, and now this one who is 90th for weight -- I don't feel like I've done a whole lot different, it's just the way they are.  Dh and I were both super skinny kids (though he's quite tall), I wouldn't expect my kids to be on the top of the weight chart as we never were, YK?

(((hugs)))), don't let it get to you!

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:07:14 am »
Thanks, Shiv  :)

Erin, I know you're right. I can see my side of the family more in Joshua (my dad and his father, specifically), and Maggie is seriously taking after my dh's side. And even though Sam resembles Joshua in his looks (face, hair), his size and physical likeness is just like Maggie!