Author Topic: pls help me ride out this day with v v OT baby  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Animom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
pls help me ride out this day with v v OT baby
« on: February 17, 2015, 03:10:51 am »
Hi...my DS is 3 months today n due to lot of short naps yesterday, he took 2 hours ti go down at bedtime n then got up after 40 mins crying...then took another 1.5 hrs to go down...nothing seem to work yesterday night..walking in stroller, nursing...only thing that got him to sleep was swaying in my arms at a rapid pace..

I can make out he is v OT...so how do I ride out this day with him...he usually has A time of 1.30 - 1.40 mins...what A time should I keep...stick to low key activities?...

I'm soooo tired n sleepy...any tips n tricks from mummas are welcome

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: pls help me ride out this day with v v OT baby
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 13:19:47 pm »
Hi how has your day been so far?
Zoe

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 14:10:27 pm »
Any chance there's something else going on? Could he be ill or uncomfortable perhaps?  I take it that yesterday was unusual and that he usually naps well (?).

If you have any accidental parenting tricks that work with him (carrying, feeding to sleep, etc) now is the time to use them, and help him catch up on the OT. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:10:40 am »
Hi...yesterday was a v long day for us...morning nap was only 20 mins...next nap was 2 hours n then he was up from 1.30 to 9.30 with only 2 naps of 20 mins in between...he would sometimes b fussy, sometimes cry n sometimes just start playing if I put him down...I tried everything yesterday...walking with him, stroller, swing, nursing...nothing seemed to work...

Though he has not been a great sleeper...but he took 3 naps everyday...morning nap of 1.5-2 hrs, afternoon nap id 3 hrs n 30-45 min cat nap...

This is how he sleeps - I shsh pat him while walking..then stand in one place jiggling him a little while doing shsh pat n then he sleeps on me till he is in deep sleep n then I put him down..(the reason I hold him is that he jolted so much as a new born even though he is swaddled...so we just did what we could to make him sleep). At night we do the same but I lay him in his crib after 20 mins of holding n if he us not OT or UT he transitions on his own...on very good days he takes 3nught feeds n goes right back to sleep)

Suspecting that something might be wrong...we went to his doctor yesterday evening ...but everything is fine...
Yesterday night he slept while nursing at 9.30..n today he got up at 6.30.. (he comfort nursed every hour after 4 am)

I just don't know how to make him sleep anymore...we started ST last week n I was targetting one nap in cot ...but we could just do that for 2 days n then he went into the OT spiral...

I know that I cannot ST an OT baby n while I'm trying to make him sleep using APOP I feel we R taking steps backwards...i need a plan of action but can't seen to think straight...

Another thing that I would  like to mention is that once DS is asleep...he seems to go into a good deep sleep almost immediately...but he starts jolting after 20 mins on the mark with eyes opening in between..this happen till  45-55 mins into the sleep cycle after which sometimes he sleeps n sometimes he wakes up completely n sometimes I am able to extend with shsh pat while carrying him...

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:21:47 am »
I'm praying this is just a phase...a wonder week or something..n things get sorted out once he catches up on sleep

Offline songbird

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:34:05 am »
No advice but just ::hugs:: as I seem to be in the same boat as you are with sensitive baby who can't self settle :( So you're not alone.
[/url

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:35:38 am »
Hi...so I'm back with not much improvement...yesterday started off well..we got a nap if 1 hr 20 mins n then a 2 hr nap...but after that things went south...again up from 2.30 to 9.30 with a very broken nap of 30 mins...at BT he was just nit settling...i fed him for about an hour thinking he might sleep but as soon as he realised he was not nibbling..he would wake up n root for the breast again...finally DH rocked him to sleep...during the night he just got up so many times I lost count...he would feed n then sleep...today got up at 6.00...i dint know what to do anymore...am so tired n frustrated..

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:06 am »
Hugs hun sounds so tough, I'd do everything to apop sleep right now, you can pick up ST once the OT has passed.
Does sound like wonder week behaviour too.
Are you sticking to a 12 hour day?x
Zoe

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:34:13 am »
I'm trying to get him to sleep as much as possible...he's not doing 12 hours coz he's so OT...got a decent 1 hr 45 min nap in the pram today but he was pretty much cribbing the whole hour after that...but he has slept again after 1 hr of crappy A time...so I'm trying to target low key and shorter A time of an hour or so...Hope this nap goes well...

i have seen morning nap he is still able to manage but as the day progresses it becomes harder...probably coz he's so tired...feel like he's become s new born again..hope we can ride this out asap...so ST definitely has to wait till we R back on track...

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 15:28:11 pm »
Just stopping by with a hug. Sounds like you are having a rough time. At that age, we also managed the first 2 naps fine but naps got dicey as the day progressed. What is your normal routine? Does she normally sleep at 9.30 or is this just now?

During the WW & growth spurt at 8 weeks, we also had days of constant nursing from 2.30 to 9 pm. I have no recollection of this - probably self induced amnesia to counter the sheer horror. My notes of the day read ' Feeding frenzy continued all day. Baby would fall asleep nursing  but only for a few minutes, and wake up crying again. Very fussy during the feeds also. Naps non-existent. ' The same thing happened the next day also. Do you have other kids? If not, I would just settle in with your laptop/TV and let her nurse/sleep whatever. Just ride this out.

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 04:57:36 am »
Thanks so much for your reply...feels so much better to know this is just a blip n others go through it as well...all the other kids in my husbands family are great n my in-laws were v shocked to see my LO crying so much for sleep secretly thinking I've spoiled him too much...

Anyway yesterday was much better bcoz atleast DS made it very clear that he wanted to sleep (previously his cues were v difficult to read he would sometimes start playing when I put him down!)...i got one 2 hr nap, two 1 hour naps and a 45 min catnap...he went to bed at 8...had 4 NFs...n got up at 7.30...so i'm happy we R getting back on track...

Hope things go well today also...
So just want to tell mammas in the same boat ..though it seems like it won't but it does get better n sometimes its just a fussy phase...
Thanks everyone for ur support...

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:20 am »
Sounds like a great day and night, hope it continues x
Zoe