Author Topic: 2.5 year old needs major intervention during naps - please help!  (Read 768 times)

Offline Lumukanda

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My little girl (2.5) has always had a difficult time napping (never napped more than 30 minutes at a time as an infant). She went through a long phase of good naps around 1.5 - 2 years old. She is now 2.5, and has gotten into horrid habits. She wakes at 6:30am - 7am (sometimes will sleep in later and we have to wake her by 8am), goes to bed at 7pm and falls asleep within 30 minutes at nighttime. All of this is fine and good.

Naps, on the other hand, are making me tear me hair out. She goes down between 1:00pm and 1:15pm after a long wind-down routine, and for the past 2 months, unless I intervene heavily (i.e. talk at her through the baby monitor and tell her to lay down), she will not sleep. If I can talk to her in the monitor sternly, she will lay down and be asleep within 15 minutes. Without intervention, she will never fall asleep and jumps, screams, sings, etc. (LOUDLY - wakes her twin brother in the next room) in her crib. She is definitely tired, because she sometimes sleeps for 2-2.5 hours once she does fall asleep.

As you can imagine, the intervention needed (basically me getting cross on the baby monitor and telling her to stop playing, lay down, go to sleep, etc.) is getting more and more and it's becoming a big crutch. It also prevents me from getting a thing done while she's sleeping, because I have to watch the monitor like a hawk!

The other issue is that she will still wake up after 30 or 45 minutes (sometimes even one hour) - obviously in a sleepy phase, and immediately begins crying. If I talk to her right away in the monitor and tell her sternly to lay down, she will go back to sleep and sleep for another 30 minutes (or sometimes even up to 2 hours). Without this intervention, she will begin playing, jumping, singing in her crib and will not fall back asleep.

I doubt she's really ready to drop a nap since she seems to need the sleep. But, her naps involve so much intervention and frustration that I am at my wits end. She has a twin brother who sleeps soundly for 2.5 hours and another baby is coming in the early Spring, so I'm hoping to get this issue resolved somewhat. Thank you for any input or insights you might offer! :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 20:34:47 pm by Lumukanda »

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Re: 2.5 year old needs major intervention during naps - please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 17:24:44 pm »
Hi Hun,

At this age it is possible that this is the start of dropping the nap...sorry  :-X sometimes this happens and then it gets better again, that's what happened with our DS.  I know it's better for you to have the LO's nap together, but do you think it might be worth pushing her nap out a bit, and then capping it shorter, to preserve BT, maybe something like this:

WU  6.30/7.00

Nap 1.30 to 2.30 capped

BT  In bed by 7 asleep by 7.30

That gives a 12.5 hour day with a 1 hour nap. It is possible her day needs to be 13 hours. Do you think she is low/average or high sleep needs from what she has done in the past  ???

Vicki.x.

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 17:40:33 pm »
Yes, sorry to say this might be the end of her naps! My DD dropped entirely at this age. It's hard at first but kind of freeing once you get used to it. That said, you need a super early BT if she drops. We did 530 BT for a long time, then 6. Only recently has she moved out to 7 some nights. She occasionally falls asleep in the car in the afternoon so I know that ideally she would take a short afternoon nap but it's just not worth the battle. It's so stressful for all of us to fight with her about it. And she's tired and goes down nicely for her early BT and sleeps well all night so in the end I think it works out. Just a thought!
*Kate*

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:24:49 am »
We also did many 5.30 BT's, scary but Sam would sleep 14 hours a lot of the time :0

x.