Author Topic: Alternative?  (Read 721 times)

Offline Jadyns mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 14, 2006, 20:30:10 pm »
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has tried a method other than pu/pd that worked for them?  I am a little hesitant to do this method and wondered what other alternatives there are to teach independent sleep!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:01:00 am »
How old is your cutie?  What have you tried so far?  What has been her reaction to them?

When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Jadyns mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 19:45:22 pm »
Hi there, I have tried pat/shhh a few weeks ago.  Lo is 3 months and 3 weeks, however she was 6 weeks premature, so she's not even 3 months yet gestation, I don't know if that makes a difference when teaching sleep habits or not!  Pat/shhh was a nightmare she got more and more agitated throughout that I just had to give up because she was screaming so much and would not calm down.  Normally I bf her to sleep or more recently I have started giving her the soother, but never in the crib awake, she still has to be sleeping pretty deep before I put her down or she wakes up instantly.  She's like one of those dolls whos eyes pop open when you sit them up, only her eyes pop open as soon as I put her down!  She usually wakes a few times a night and I bf her back to sleep.

Thanks for your help. ;D

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Alternative?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 19:56:10 pm »
Sounds a bit spirited.  The preeminess (new word!!   ;)  )  can make a difference.  I'd go with her adjusted age for now.  Have you tried swaddling?  She may hate it at first, but it can help calm her a lot.  Also, skip the pat, just shh and see if that helps.  A consistant wind down routine helps her learn what to expect.  When our preemie was younger, we would take her out  of the crib to eat, and tuck a hot water bottle under the covers.  Then take it out when we put her back.  Warm bed!!  It made things a bit easier.   :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.