Author Topic: does size of nipple on bottle really matter?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Silas Mum

• Allison Vancouver, BC CANADA
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
does size of nipple on bottle really matter?
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:37:55 am »
LO has been using the same 0-6 month size of Gerber NUK nipple and he is 9 months this week.  When I tried at 7 months to give him the next bigger size designed for 6 months +, he wouldn't have it.  I tried again with the 3 bottles today and the same thing, he just tried to chew it and got very mad and grunted lots.  My Mum was over tonight and she said it's not that important to get him to use a bigger nipple.  I'm wondering if this is true and if I should be pushing the bigger one.  KWIM?

Thanks!
Allison

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: does size of nipple on bottle really matter?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:28:26 am »
Hi Allison

I think it depends on a few factors;

*Is your Lo bored with the existing flow? A sign of this is that they take ages to take a very minimal amout; they get bored sucking and give up.

*The bottle manufacturer. With some manufacturers, e.g. AVENT, Chicco (there are many more...) there is a huge difference in the flow flows; slow flow is very slow and only appropriate for newborn. Whereas other manufacturers their slow flow is maybe a bit bigger so LO's can use it longer.

*Your LO may not get bored with the flow speeds but just have a preference for a slow, medium or fast flow teat.

Many of problems of LO suddenly not taking as much milk as they used to, as recified with a faster flow.

They other thing is I NEVER went by the age recommendatons on the packet, I always follows DS's cues, to gauge if it was too fast/slow or just right. So don't push it if he isn't ready.
Lauren x

Offline Silas Mum

• Allison Vancouver, BC CANADA
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 19:41:27 pm »
Thanks Lauren ...

LO isn't showing any of those signs ... I was looking at the package.   :-[
With the smaller size we have had to take a pearing knife and just cut it to be smiddgen bigger.  The next size I got didn't seem to be fast enough so even after I cut it a wee bit bigger, he still didn't want it.  DH said it just looked too big for his mouth.

Allison

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 23:08:11 pm »
I was about to post a similar question!  :) I use the Avent nipple for EBM and I was finding it took forever for her to drink 3 oz when she can nurse in about 5 min.  So I just increased from the size 1 to size 2, but I'm not sure when to increase further. So far, it's going better with the size 2 - so I guess just watching that she doesn't gag on the next size or get frustrated with the smaller size.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 02:53:32 am »
I breast and bottle fed my now 12mo old.  We used Avent and I stuck with a number 1 nipple for a long time.  She now only gets one bottle at night and I use a number 2 nipple.  I believe you should follow the cues of your baby however, I think our transition to the sippy cup was a little harder because she was used to getting milk so slowly.  It took about two months for my lo to get used to the sippy.  I think if I would have let her have a number 3 or bigger she may have been able to handle the fast flow of the sippy better.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline magda1461

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two Angels that where sent to me
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:58:12 am »
i definitely think the size matters. like the moderator says you should check their cues first. with AVENT nipples you can buy ones that have a 3 stage flow. on the one nipple , so as they grow you stay with the same nipple but change the direction of the teat . you should check out their website.
also does your little one have a paci? have you increased the size of that yet?

Offline M2W

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 22:56:56 pm »
LO has been using the same 0-6 month size of Gerber NUK nipple and he is 9 months this week.  When I tried at 7 months to give him the next bigger size designed for 6 months +, he wouldn't have it.  I tried again with the 3 bottles today and the same thing, he just tried to chew it and got very mad and grunted lots.  My Mum was over tonight and she said it's not that important to get him to use a bigger nipple.  I'm wondering if this is true and if I should be pushing the bigger one.  KWIM?

Thanks!
Allison

No...Weston is 18 months old and still prefers a #1 nipple (we use Avent bottles) He's content with it...and to be honest, I feel if he has to work harder for it, then great, because eventually he'll find the sippy cup or regular cup more appealing on his own. IMHO.

We tried faster flow nipples and honestly all it did was make him drink faster, fill up faster and burp a lot more...lol even spit up at times because he just got too much too fast.

Offline magda1461

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two Angels that where sent to me
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 00:00:37 am »
i changed mine as it was taking her over 30mins to eat 100ml and she was getting frustrated then just gave up! as soon as i got a bigger teat. she was right as rain, happy eating entire bottle and ate in 10mins!

Offline M2W

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 00:04:14 am »
i changed mine as it was taking her over 30mins to eat 100ml and she was getting frustrated then just gave up! as soon as i got a bigger teat. she was right as rain, happy eating entire bottle and ate in 10mins!

I also think it has a lot to do with their 'sucking power' because Weston will suck nipples until they cave inward. The faster flow ones literally are done with 2 minutes (and I'm refering to 8 ounces or more) Yet a 12 ounce avent bottle will take about 5 minutes with a #1 nipple for him. So I'm assuming suck power has a lot to do with finding the nip that's right for you, but I do not think there is a problem with sticking to the one that works for you forever.  ;)