Author Topic: Grasping bra when breastfeeding - is it ok?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Bunny mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Grasping bra when breastfeeding - is it ok?
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:58:26 am »
 Hi. My daughter is 19 weeks old. Her arm control now is not good, still flailing very much. She does not know how to reach for toys yet.

About 2 weeks ago, her arms started finding sth to hold when breastfeeding. I have a necklace (not nursing necklace) and she hold onto it at first. The necklace is thin so I have to take her hands off. Then she grasps my bra. I offer her my fingers but she does not like it. Why is that? Is it ok for her to hold my bra? Will it become some bad habit?
Another problem is I am sleep training now. The last part of bedtime routine is feeding then I put her down awake and turn off the light. She still quite resistant and cry at bedtime. She pull my bra or necklace when I put her down. Do you have any suggestion so that it is easier for her to accept putting down?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Grasping bra when breastfeeding - is it ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:45:38 am »
Could you introduce a lovey (something like a small cuddly you or a blanket type thing). You could sleep with it in your bra for a couple of days so it smells like you and then put it in her hands as you feed. If she becomes attached to it you could offer it to her and she may take it with her into bed.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Florena49

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:04:48 am »
Oskar does this, in fact he is 6 months and he is so interested in anythibg that can be moved and he grabs my bra strap and then lets go, to say the least its unpleasant sometime painful. But he has always played with my bra whilst eating, i just saw it as comfort thing it felt like he was nesting, sometimes a give him a lovey and he will cuddle that, but it does depend on his mood.

Viktoria

Mum to Oskar 25/10/2013 and Maksim 19/07/2015

Offline Bunny mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 14:45:57 pm »
Thank you for your suggestion! The book says st about lovey but not until 6 months so I have thought that I would wait. I guess just give her anything is not enough for her. My scent is necessary right?

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 14:57:42 pm »
Totally offer her a soft lovey. Maybe one with satin edges....she is looking for something tactile to feel....so sweet.   :)   If you put it in your bra just for an afternoon, it will have your scent. She may reject it at first, and if she does, just lay it between you both, or lay it on your shoulder. It will become familiar in time, and what's great is that if/when she gets attached to it, it is a really great thing to have for her to soothe herself. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 18:29:18 pm »
The book says st about lovey but not until 6 months so I have thought that I would wait.
I was going to suggest the same as Naomi, to introduce a lovey. I think the book refers to LO choosing their own comfort item or lovey and being unlikely to do this before 6 months. It's possible to try introduce one earlier. I introduced a muslin square on day 1 and DS attached very early on and has had great comfort from it. I never used scent - well only that we have a whole stack of muslins to keep rotating and laundering so the scent is our detergent.  Be careful not to leave anything in the crib that is a SIDS risk. When mine was little I let him fall to sleep with the muslin then took it away so he wasn't with it all night.  There are so so many things to choose for a lovey, I love that ours is simple and now he is 3yo and starting pre-school he has a small one in his pocket which he finds great comfort in (a soft toy wouldn't fit in his pocket).

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 18:36:58 pm »
We did a muslin in the early days too.. Much easier to wash and rotate! I just tied a knot in the middle of it so it was less likely to cover her face in the night. I also played peekaboo with another muslin numerous times a day so she learnt to pull it off her face... Helped with my paranoia!

DD had it from around 4 months or so I think.

Xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 19:12:19 pm »
I love all the ideas from pps but I don't think there is anything wrong with your LO holding your bra if you don't find it uncomfortable. Both of mine held my bra strap while feeding and I fed them both for 2yrs. They didn't do it at other times. I did draw the line when they tried to put their hand in the other cup and play with the other boobie!  :P
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 20:12:55 pm »
E loves to snap my bra...she can't do it hard enough to hurt so I am good with it and it keeps her hands off my glasses!
Heidi