Author Topic: Almost 11 month old wont take sippy nor bottle...help  (Read 1369 times)

Offline VanCan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 11 month old wont take sippy nor bottle...help
« on: November 26, 2012, 15:58:22 pm »
My son has been EBF, but used to take a bottle of EBM until around 5.5 month old.  :o
Since then, he refuses, quite adamantly. Won't take it from me, hubby, grandma, aunt, cousins...

He breastfeeds 3x day, morning, midday-ish, and before bed. He can falls asleep without nursing first, and is a good eater. We still give him on some purée to increase his liquid intake to avoid constipation, but he also eats finger foods on his own.

I have continued trying a bottle on occasion, and slowly focused more on sippy cups. Many differences kinds, with BM, regular milk, water, juice... You name. I even put maple syrup on the spout to encourage him, he will lick it off, then reject the cup  :-[

Any tips or advice? I will be going back to work soon, and he starts daycare next week. I just want to make sure he gets enough liquids in the day without me, and would like to share bedtime with DH. Or have an occasional night out with DH.

Thanks for reading and offering my tips.  :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Almost 11 month old wont take sippy nor bottle...help
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 17:54:27 pm »
I'd work on the water more than anything right now, just to make sure he's staying hydrated.  At this point, I'd actually just forget the bottle completely and focus on a cup.  What kind of sippy are you using?  You can try one of the softer spout cups without the valve, as it's easier for them to get water out of them, they just have to chew on them.  You can also try a straw cup, many breastfed babies do better with straws than spouts.  You can also try an open cup, just very carefully (though I'm not sure how daycare would feel about that) -- I tend to give my LOs open cups in the bath to play with, but they also seem to get then hang of drinking from them that way.

He may never take breastmilk from anything other than you -- does your work schedule allow you to nurse him a few times a day?  I went back to work when dd2 was 8 months old and she would never take breastmilk from anything --  but at that point, she was drinking water from her cup, so it worked out ok.  She was nursing in the morning (I actually had to do it as kind of a morning dreamfeed as I left before her WU time), when I got home from work, and before bed.  We dropped to morning and night shortly before a year (which is early, but it just wasn't happening with work craziness). 

I'd just leave the cup around as much as possible and let him play with it and hopefully he'll get it soon.  Good luck, I know it's stressful!

Offline VanCan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 13:51:23 pm »
I have 4 different sippy cups, 2 soft spouts but different, one with a pop up soft straw, and one with a hard spout for which I can remove the flow control. He won't take any, even though they are around to play with almost all the time...with a regular cup/glass he will occasionally take a sip of mine, but if I try to help him with a drink (in his high chair or at times I'm not drinking) no go!!

I may be able to swing a morning and bedtime nursing, but during the day he will be a daycare and I won't be able to nurse him, hopefully he starts to get the message, because besides hydration, I'm not even sure how much milk he's getting total in a day???

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 14:18:01 pm »
Having similar troubles here ::) Have you tried a doidy cup?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 15:01:40 pm »
It may be that once he sees other children at daycare drinking from a cup that he will want to copy them.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 17:52:12 pm »
They get a lot of liquid from foods too so hydration-wise, he should be ok. 

Offline VanCan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »
What's a doidy cup?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:26:01 pm »
They are an open cup with a slanted edge to make it easier to drink out of - something like http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10751&categoryId=14601&fcd=set&pageView=&dm=filter&N=2316&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&Ns=NumberSold%7c1&storeId=10001&rw.cm=Google,ppc,doidy+cup&cm_mmc=icrossing-_-Google-_-Exact-_-doidy+cup&OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=16579231693&OVKEY=doidy%20cup&url_id=14535749&adpos=1t2&gclid=CMjA2dDX9rMCFanItAodE30AGg

Our HV recommends them to everyone and they are meant to be particularly good for BF babies as the drinking action is more similar to breastfeeding.  J will take an oz or two at a time out of one of these if she's in the right mood.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:01 pm »
They're supposed to be very good.  The child doesn't have to tip the cup up so far to get the liquid so it's less likely they'll tip it over themselves (or that's the theory anyway)
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 21:09:40 pm »
My nephew hardly drank from a sippy until my sister went back to work FT at 14mo. He got thirsty and since mum wasn't there he didn't have the option to BF so he (eventually)  drank the water on offer. You may find she drinks more only once she has been without you for a few days.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011