Author Topic: EASY for twins - how early to start?  (Read 896 times)

Offline irene_yvr

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:35:57 am »
I have 6 week twins who were born 3 weeks early and have been pretty much on a 3-hour routine since bringing them home from the hospital. I am bf but also supplementing with formula and for the most part, both DS and DD are doing well with the routine, although DS does often have trouble falling asleep for his naps, especially his mid-morning naps. I think it's because of OS so have kept any stimulation to a minimum (sometimes sit in bouncy seat with only music on, no vibration).  They both weigh just over 8 lbs.

I have tried to tank up and do the dream feed, but they both wake up in the middle of the night (DD 3 hours after DF and DS 4.5 hrs after). Are they still too young/small to expect them to sleep from 11pm for at least 5 hours to their next feed? How early can you introduce the tank up/DF to the routine? My DH is sleeping in the guest room so I have been doing the night feeds on my own and the sleep deprivation is catching up.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: EASY for twins - how early to start?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:06 am »
Yes, I think it is too early to expect them to go 5hrs without a feed tbh. You van certainly do the cluster and dream feed but they may need a while longer to get a longer stretch. Many LOs will need to feed every 3 hours for the first few months so I would just keep doing what you are doing and they will get there.

Would it help to do a DF for DS when DD wakes at 2ish so he isn't waking you again an hour later? I know many twin mamas find it helpful to keep them on the same routine for mama's sake.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011