Author Topic: Getting a 7month old to start bottle  (Read 964 times)

Offline kakacarmen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:39:38 am »
Hi, I am not sure if this should be under breastfeeding or bottle feeding so I just post it here, please feel free to move it if needed.  :)

I have been EBF my DS who is gonna be 7 months very soon and want to start him on the bottle. I have tried everyday for about 2 weeks when he was 4 months old but he never took it and just chew on the teat or spit the milk out. I have tried 5 different teats with different flow (Avent, tommee tippee, medela stage 2, medela special one for breastfeeding, nuby) but he just reacts the same then push the bottle away when he even sees it. He also won't take it from my DH either. I tried holding him, let him sit on his chair, in dark not in dark...nothing worked.

Then I started giving him sippy cup at 5 months(tommee tippee free flow)with water and he does the same, just chewing on the spout, although he does take a few sips here and there, a lot of the times he still spit the water out. It has been more than 1 month now and still not much improvement.

Then I read the chapter in tracy's book about starting bottle and would like to try her method (before I never try the bottle when he's very hungry). From my past experience, my guess is DS will refuse it and go on a hunger stike, and since I have already started him on solids and eating 3 meals a day, do I just keep offering the bottle to him with no solids or still feed him solids at his meal times?? I am worried that if I give him solids and he refuses bottle, he's gonna get constipated  :-\

If anyone's got and more advice and tips on giving bottle, please let me know  :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Getting a 7month old to start bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:49:32 am »
There's some info here: Breastfed babies and bottles

The cold turkey method is kind of tough on babies, many of them will outright refuse for quite awhile.  When my dd1 was a little younger than yours, I got her to start taking the bottle by offering it prior to every single daytime feed.  If she didn't take it, I would put the bottle away, wait a minute, and then nurse as usual.  It took about 2 weeks, but she did eventually start taking it like a champ.  I've heard from others who had the same experience. 

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Getting a 7month old to start bottle
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 18:55:47 pm »
We did the same with DS as Erin did.
*** Amanda ***