Author Topic: Is 5am night or morning ?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline PG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 12, 2006, 20:26:16 pm »
Our 5 month old boy regularly wakes at 5am (dream fed at 10.30pm, takes 5-6oz).  If I feed him then (hungrily takes 6oz) he is happy to back to sleep but is not hungry again when I want him to start the day (7 / 7.30am) but needs feeding at around 9/9.30am which then completely upsets the routine for the rest of the day.  Just wondering what other mothers do for 5am waking - try to ssh pat to sleep or feed ?

Second question relates to something I've read on other posts - our baby also wakes exactly 45 minutes after being put down to sleep in the evening.  Has anyone had success with overcoming this problem ?
Thanks.

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: Is 5am night or morning ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 20:34:29 pm »

If u are regulalry feeding at 5 am but then lo isnt hungry at regular wake up, u could try watering down the 5 am feed over a few nights, this may help your lo increase his milk intake in the day hours therefor not needing to wake at 5 am cos of hunger.
my ds used to wake at 4 am starving i did this method and eventually he was sleeping throught till 6.30 we still get the odd night when he wakes teething, colds etc but other than that (touch wood) he sleeps very very well.

hth
Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline PG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 20:37:05 pm »
Thanks, will try that tonight / this morning. It's such an awful time, especially when my toddler can be woken up by him and then I have two of them awake at that hour ! 
Did you water down like this .... 6 oz water and only 4 oz formula ?

Offline macsmum

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 20:40:27 pm »

I did it more gradual, 7 oz water 6 scoops of milk, then 7 oz to 5 scoops, dont worry if lo continues to wake for a few night after u have stopped feeding altogether, just use pat shush or whatever u acn to get through it then your lo will realise he isnt gonna get fed ;D
normally i would say he might still need the feed, but if he can make it to five am i think with this he could easy make it to atleast 6.30am

good luck let me know how u get on

Emma

Offline PG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 20:43:46 pm »
Even 6am and I'd be happy.He's 5 months and 17 lbs so fairly big boy and I reckon he can do it. He's also not draining his 7oz bottles during the day - sometimes only doing 5oz - so hopefully watering down at 5am will help as well.  Can I ask please when you gave the watered down at 5am milk, what time did you next feed ?

Offline macsmum

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 20:48:12 pm »

well my ds was refusing point blank to eat at 7 am till i got to 7oz water 3 scoops, so i offered when he next seemed hungry, i did sort of have to start from scratch with the feeds in the easy until he would drink his am bottle but his naps etc were the same as they should be if he was eating in the am but it did look a little like AES for a while cos i had to push the feeds back, if i had continued to feed in the am and he only took say 2oz i would of struggled to make up the calorie intake in the day! does that make sense.

Emma

Offline PG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 20:53:50 pm »
Kind of makes sense. If I feed him at 5am, he then feeds at 9am and then 1pm which ends up being in the middle of when he should be napping, sending whole day into disarray !   Some mornings he's fed at 5am and then I've starved him until his regular 11am feed.Sometimes it will work, like if we're out shopping etc but if he's stuck at home, he just starts screaming from 9am and I try to push to 10am. 

Offline macsmum

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 21:00:15 pm »

the other way to go is to just feed again at normal time, once u get to say 7oz water to 3 scoops he should be upping his 7am bottle then stop needing the 5am one................
infact if i had a brain at the time it would of made more sense to do it that way but i have to say it is only now i know what i am doing back then i was in a daze and typical me likes to make life difficult
ignore last post and dont do it the hard way like i did ;D what a prat am i........... can u tell i am a little sleep deprived due to ds being ill for practically 2 months solid ::)

sorry for making life difficult derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i am a bit of a dunce i think

good luck
Emma

Offline PG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 21:06:24 pm »
Thanks so much - will give it a go. 

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 21:25:25 pm »
Take a look here if you'd like further details on the watering down process -

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=46907.0
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline macsmum

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 21:29:21 pm »

cheers not sure how to add links :-[

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 15:14:17 pm »
PG - Just adding to an old thread as I build up my own bag of tricks for new problem....when our LO used to wake at 45 it would mena she thought it was a nap.  It always happened when she didnt have a nap she normally did.  Have you changed naps lateley?  Just wondering?