Author Topic: Frustrated - don't know what to do  (Read 842 times)

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
Frustrated - don't know what to do
« on: May 12, 2006, 15:06:39 pm »
First a little cultural background: in my country peds recommend introducing solids in a different manner. Usually they recommend that you replace a milk feed with a baby cereal feed. When that is established you make that the dinner feed and replace the lunch milk feed for veggie soup. Soup is very important in our food culture and is introduced early on, usually simple veggies like carrots, potatoes, turnip, onion, pumpkin, blended well with a dash of live oil (no salt). Other foods are then introduced slowly, like fruits and yogurt. Meat and fish are first blended with the soup and later given separately.

In our case, our ped told us to start first with the soup as lo is so chubby the baby cereal was not recommended. So that's what we did. And it is going very badly  :-[ .
Lo is now a few days over 6 months, has no tongue-thrust reflex, shows an enormous interest in our food, has good neck support, is on a 4 hour easy, breastfed (both sides in 10 minutes).
We first introduced the soup in a plate but by the third day she was refusing it. We tried baby cereal thinking it was the taste she didn't like and the same thing happened. We introduced a bottle with formula (it takes me hours to pump, which I don't have) and after a few rough days she started taking it well, so we re-introduced the soup in that. It is now the third day and she is refusing it again.

So now here's my dilemma: I know I should back off as she is getting more and more upset over this and I really don't want mealtime to be a power struggle, but I need the free time that meal provides (for work). Should I stick with the formula? I'm afraid she'll forget how to use the bottle if I don't ...
Should I try other foods? Should I try this "the english/american way" ?
How will she get the extra nutrients if I back off?
Any other thoughts?

TIA, Sara
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Frustrated - don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:05:04 am »
Hi Sara,

First of all can you post me your feeding routine as it stands at the moment, when you breastfeed and when you give solids? Are you feeding during the night?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline LisbonMom

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:07:27 pm »
We were on a 4-hour EASY when we first introduced solids, exclusively breastfeeding at 7 am / 11 am / 3 pm / 7 pm / df between 10-11 pm .

We tried the solids at the 11 am feed, instead of breast. During these past days of the food saga our routine has been a bit messed up as she wouldn't eat, so I would feed her at 2 instead of 3. On one day something happened and she threw up bottle and breast and got a bit dehydrated so I gave her 2 df and fed her when she woke in the night (5ish) to quench the thirst.
Yesterday was even stranger as she had absolutely nothing at 11, so I fed her at 1, 5, df at 9, df at 1 and she slept through to 7:15.
No solids, as you can tell.
Sara

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 00:02:25 am »
Ok with your cultural differences in introducing solids it makes it a little difficult so i am going to give you my opinion as to what i think you should do.
I think you should go back to feeding every 4hours 7,11,3,7 and DF. Start with 1 meal for a week or so and see how it goes either 1hour after either morning meals whatever is more conventant for you. I would stick with the rice cereal for the first week and see how you go with that. If all that is going well and you are happy to start another meal then you could try your soup again at lunch time and have the rice cereal for breakfast.
I hope this is helpful and what you were looking for. Please don't hesitate to ask me any other questions you might have. Good luck  :)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline LisbonMom

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 14:02:41 pm »
Hi Natasha,

Well, things are still bumpy....
I have tried the cereal in a bottle 2 hours after a feed for a few days and she still doesn't eat any. She is used to the bottle and will have formula in it ok, but when I mix the cereal in she refuses it (and the problem is not the teat, I have checked that). It just seems to me she is not hungry enough at those times. I will try at a regular feed time to see if she takes it better ....
As for another question I have: I have tried giving her fruit (banana and apple) before the breast (on the advice of a pediatrician friend) but after a few spoonfulls she starts crying (hunger?, discomfort from sitting?) and as I don't won't the feeding experience to be a negative one, I take her out of her high-chair. Today I gave her a bath after the fruit and after that I offered the breast (and she drained both sides...). Any advice on this? It seems that if I give it after the breast she's full and won't eat. If I give it before she's too hungry and won't eat  ::). I have even tried (only once I admit) giving her only one side and then the fruit, but as soon as she realised I wasn't going to give her the second side she started crying.

TIA!!!
Sara