Author Topic: Moving to bigger teats?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Moving to bigger teats?
« on: September 15, 2006, 12:34:20 pm »
DD is 8 months and still one the first size teats. We use Gerber bottles. For the last few weeks, she's been pushing away the bottle after a few ounces and I thought I'd try the next size up, which is called Fast flow (haven't found any medium flows).  Well the milk just flows out of the fast flow teat and she invariably chokes and dribbles, so I went back to the regular teats.  She takes about 17-20 oz of formula a day, so maybe a bit on the low end.  Suggestions any one?

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Moving to bigger teats?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 13:29:57 pm »
I found whenever I went up a teat size it would take dd a few days to a week to get used to the faster flow and stop being so messy & dribbly!
]

shimzy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 16:56:14 pm »
My dd is 7wks this wk and we are still using newborn gerber nipples. She has to suck quite hard and takes about 30 mins to swallow 3.5 oz..Im figuring thats a long time. I am heading out today to get either the medium flow or fast flow and just wondering is that typical? Would a larger teat allow her to eat faster and/or take in more oz's at a feeding? Im asking this because she will eat the first 2oz's like guzzle it.. and then she peters out and acts really disinterested. With much encouragement she will take the other 1.5oz...so Im figuring a larger teat may allow her to take in more oz's with less effort? Thoughts?

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 18:30:53 pm »
If you are not able to find the medium flow teats - you can always make an extra hole in the teats that you have.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

shimzy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 20:47:19 pm »
If you are not able to find the medium flow teats - you can always make an extra hole in the teats that you have.

:) Thank you so much! I did find medium flow (suggested for 3-6 mths) at shoppers drug mart. I'll try those out thanks again
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 20:49:34 pm by shimzy »

shimzy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 22:55:50 pm »
I just wanted to update on how our day was going. WOW is all I can say. I wonder if I have an angel baby?  :-*

We started out her day at 6:30am. I tried to get her to start at 7am but what can I say she was hungry! So anyway, she has been taking 3.5 oz's every 3 hours on the nose since 6:30am. We are up a whole 3.5oz's from yesterday. Thats a whole extra feeding! Im curious to see how things are going to go over night. OH YAH and I started the medium flow nipple at her 3:30pm feed and she had no problems (a little dribbly but no complaints!) AND instead of taking 35 minutes to eat the 2oz she was taking.. it took her 10 minutes to take 3.5 oz's no spit up and one happy full baby  :D

I'll let you know how our night goes ! Thanks for all the input  8)

shimzy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 22:58:45 pm »
The Vern - If you like I can mail you some medium flow nipples. They are a god send!

I also use the Gerber bottles.

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 23:09:35 pm »
shimzy - that's awesome. Good for you.  I have checked every store for medium flow for the Gerber Nuk bottles - can't believe they actually exist!!! Do you use the silicone or latex teats? I use the silicone variety.  If that's what you've found, that would be great if you could send me some.  Since my post I tried the fast flow again, and she takes one sip and pushes the bottle away, so for now we're better off with the slow flow teat.  How does it work for me paying you for the teats and for postage?

shimzy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 00:01:58 am »
shimzy - that's awesome. Good for you.  I have checked every store for medium flow for the Gerber Nuk bottles - can't believe they actually exist!!! Do you use the silicone or latex teats? I use the silicone variety.  If that's what you've found, that would be great if you could send me some.  Since my post I tried the fast flow again, and she takes one sip and pushes the bottle away, so for now we're better off with the slow flow teat.  How does it work for me paying you for the teats and for postage?

The Vern - I use the silicone as well .. and the medium flow has made such a difference. She increased her feeds from 2 oz each to 3.5oz each. What a difference ! Not only did the feeds increase but she takes much less time to finish and we have more activity time.. so things are looking up. Im looking forward to seeing how the night pans out..

It wont cost but a few pennies to mail them out. You can email me your address and I'll mail them out tomorrow! I have 3 that I can send to you for now and if you would like more just let me know  :-*

Email: lmweinrich@hotmail.com

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 17:58:59 pm »
Shimzy,

I am so pleased that she is doing well on them.

Keep us posted on how your night goes.

Paula x

shimzy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 18:37:01 pm »
Hi Tom Tom's Mum!

Well the night was a big shaky  ???  She DF at 10pm. Was sleeping by 10:30 (bottle took her 8 minutes to finish). She slept until 2:30am. I tried to feed her as usual, she spat at the bottle so I put her back to sleep. She woke at 3:30am. Tried to feed her, same thing. She slept until 5am, drank .5 oz's and slept until 7am where she at 3oz. (normally 3.5oz's) but I figure from the .5 oz she ate earlier that she took a little less.

So Im not sure really why she's waking. Any thoughts?

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 19:23:28 pm »
It could be that the bigger teats are giving her more wind.  Do you have an drops etc that you could give for wind?

shimzy

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 20:24:30 pm »
It could be that the bigger teats are giving her more wind.  Do you have an drops etc that you could give for wind?

drops? like what kind of drops?

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 20:26:02 pm »
In the UK we have something called Infacol, we give it to our lo before a feed, and what it does is gathers all the tiny air bubbles in your lo's tummy and makes them into one big bubble, and when your lo brings up their wind, it is usually one big burp and they are done. 

shimzy

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 20:31:20 pm »
In the UK we have something called Infacol, we give it to our lo before a feed, and what it does is gathers all the tiny air bubbles in your lo's tummy and makes them into one big bubble, and when your lo brings up their wind, it is usually one big burp and they are done. 

neat! :o  I will have to look at the drug store for that sort of thing. Im going when my husband gets home from work! Thanks for that!    :-*