Author Topic: How do you make your bottles?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline SamWilliams1510

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 13, 2006, 16:56:07 pm »
Ihave been told so many different ways ranging from filling bottles with boiled water lettin it cool to room temp and adding formula just before serving; making it with formula and boiling water and putting it in fridge to cool then re-heat to serve or formula and boiling water and cooling to serve at room temp.  I am so confused and worried I am doing it wrong.  help

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: How do you make your bottles?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 17:01:30 pm »
I use bottled water so just pour water then formula but from what I kn0w  of other uk mums, they boil a bottleful in the morning to use throughout the day (is that right girls?!) . In italy they advice 'baby' mineral water as has virtually no salt and added calcium and minerals etc HTH

Offline blondie10

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 18:40:50 pm »
because of the risk of bacteria in formula, it is now recommended that bottles are made up when you need them. I sterilise all bottles in the morning then fill them with freshly boiled water, let them cool slightly and refrigerate. I add formula at feeding time, then warm up in a jug of water. If I am going out then I take a empty sterilised bottle with a flask of hot water and the right amount of formula in a little container (by Tommee Tippee - dont know if anyone else makes these) and make up when needed. Don't know if it is OK to refrigerate the water, but had no trouble so far and my friends all did the same. Although a midwife at my ante natal classes said that it would "probably" ;) be ok to make up in advance and refrigerate as long as you kept the bottles in the main body of the fridge and not the door because of the constant temp inside even though she did not recommend this! ;D

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 18:42:21 pm »
Avent also do the milk dispenser ;)

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 18:44:21 pm »
I do the same as Blondie.  This also means you have a longer shelf life if you go out, as milk has to be used within an hour once you've made it.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 19:08:08 pm »
We also do the same as Blondie.  We found this the easiest way.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 21:02:55 pm »
I should have said "used within an hour once its been heated"  Sorry!
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 21:15:51 pm »
With my DD I did the same as the other ladies have suggested (using the avent milk dispenser - a great invention). I didn't heat the bottles though, I just gave them at room temperature which she never seemed to mind.

love

Marie

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 21:49:51 pm »
We used bottled water or distilled water and would mix when needed.  Pre-measured water in the bottle and the dry formula in a separate container (The First Years make disposable formula pouches, and we also used a bottle liner but I think that even a ziploc bag would probably work fine).  Add together and shake, shake, shake.  We served at room temp too.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

shimzy

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 21:56:16 pm »
I noticed you all use bottled or distilled water.. I use tap water is that wrong?
I run hot water through a brand new coffee maker, I put 1/4 hot water and the rest cold tap water. Then mix in the formula and use right away.

Is there a reason I should not be using tap water?

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 21:58:52 pm »
Our tap water is very hard and we don't like to drink it.  My pediatrician said tap was fine to use, it's just our preference.  He recommends boiling or bottled if you are getting water from a well.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 23:29:51 pm »
I have the avent formula thingy, keep a jug of cooled boiled water in the fridge and when I need to make a feed up, I put in the bottle mostly the cooled water and top up with freshly boiled water to get it to the right temp.  Add the formula, shake and feed is ready.
Rach xx

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 00:20:00 am »
Wow - we actually never steralized anything - not the bottles or the water.  My ds's doctor said that it was not necessary and not to worry about it.   So we would just make up the formula and put it into enough bottles for the day and stick them in the fridge.  We would then place the filled bottle in a jug of warm water to warm it up a bit.

That's interesting that so many of you sterilize - are any of you in the US?  Most of the people I know don't sterilize..  oh well, ds has made it this far... ;)

Offline Messa

• Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 03:20:18 am »
I use tap water.  I make enough formula for 12 hrs and refrigerate a DR suggested this as baby will get the same "mix" all day so no bottle was stronger or weaker if they had a sensitive tummy.  Never steralized either.
Melissa

Offline blondie10

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 07:42:23 am »
Not sure about using bottled water, I have read somewhere that they can contain higher levels of salts and minerals than tap water. As for sterilising, it is recommended up to at least 6 months, but again I have heard that a dishwasher gets to a high enough temperature to get them clean enough. As I am chief washer upper and do not have a dish washer I sterilise. ;D

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 08:11:29 am »
The bottled water is fine if its specifically for babies or you have read the nutritional facts to see if it has a very low salt content.

Offline Mom2one

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 12:46:10 pm »
I mix up a jug of formula and keep in the fridge, then fill bottles when needed.  We however use the concentrate (just add equal part water to the formula).  The label on the can says that it must be used within 48 hours. 

We tried the powder, but I found it made my daughter really gassy.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 14:17:18 pm »
Here is the info on tap v's bottled water from the FAQ section

Tap water should be boiled for babies up to six months of age. After that it can be offered straight from the mains supply. If you wish to use a filter that is your personal choice, but do follow the filter manufacturer's instructions and keep filtered water in the fridge, as the filtering process removes some of the additives, such as chlorine, used to keep tap water fresh.

If you are travelling overseas, bottled water is the better option, as a different tap water could cause a tummy upset and diarrhoea, however safe it is in terms of cleanliness. Avoid those with a high mineral content and opt for still low sodium varieties, often labelled "suitable for infant feeding", such as Evian or Volvic. These should also be boiled when used for young babies, as they are not sterile.

It is worth mentioning that those few people with their own wells in the garden would be advised to get their water supply checked before their baby arrives. Certain private water supplies are high in nitrate levels and not recommended for babies' use. In this situation natural bottled mineral water would be the safer option, boiled and cooled first in babies below six months of age.

If you use water from a well instead of a community water supply, have it tested to make sure it is safe before using it for your baby. Boiling well water does not assure safety. The well could contain a high nitrate level which could harm your baby and boiling would concentrate that level. Call your local health department or Cooperative Extension office. They may test it or tell you how to find a company that will do it for you. Use distilled water especially when traveling and you do not know the safety of the water supply.

Reviewed March 2006

The information above is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your or your child's condition.
Lauren x