Author Topic: which cup do you use for milk?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
which cup do you use for milk?
« on: December 29, 2009, 17:37:20 pm »
Hi,
Going to start transitioning 14 month old DS to cups for milk and wondered what you all use???
I bought a Tommy Tippee with a straw today - is that ok to use? I don't want to go through the work of getting him onto a cup and then find out it is the wrong one or I should not be using it for some reason :P
He has a sippy for water and I would quite like a different cup for milk - I did try the sippy a while ago and it was a no-go for milk...
Becky x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: which cup do you use for milk?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 18:07:32 pm »
We use the Amadeus cow cup which is a sippy but has a valve. Stan wouldn't take milk from a free-flow sippy but the valve made it more 'sucky' like a bottle.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 18:33:46 pm »
ok - could try that. Thanks :)

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 19:01:19 pm »
do you reckon cups with straws are ok?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 19:15:50 pm »
I haven't heard anything to say they're not ???

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 19:19:28 pm »
good! Just bought one so will try it. Thanks x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:15 am »
hmmm - day 1 of straw cup for milk a no-go....
Do you think I should persevere or maybe try a sippy which he now uses fine?
If anyone could share stories of how they made the switch I would love to hear them :)
bx

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:20:45 am »
My LO is os particular about his cups.  He will throw a fit if his milk isn't in the right cup.  At 1st, he would only use the starter sippy cups with the valve.  Now, he uses cups that have a little more free flow.  But he still won't try a straw cup.

I would try a cup that he is used to 1st and then transition him to a straw cup.  But that is just my personal experience.
Kara

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:40:47 am »
hmmm - day 1 of straw cup for milk a no-go....
Do you think I should persevere or maybe try a sippy which he now uses fine?
If anyone could share stories of how they made the switch I would love to hear them

TBH, I think this is a case of nothing that works for one LO will necessarily work for another, kwim? Most LOs seem to have a struggle adapting to the sippy for milk. Will take water and juice fine but when it comes to milk, no way!  It's just trying new things and persevering until you get there

I would not give up with the straw cup just because he did not take to it once...we got DS a straw cup for Christmas and it took him 4 or 5 days to catch on to how it works and what he is supposed to do with it.  If you think about it, it is a bit of a strange concept to get used to when you have no idea how the straw works!

I have a cupboard full of sippies that we tried and stuck with for a week or two and DS didn't like them, (PITA when sippy cups here are anywhere from 8-12 Euros each!!!) every now and again I get one out and try it for a few days. When I found one that he will drink cold milk at lunch from, that is the one we have stuck with as our "main" cups but still use/try the others out now and again.  But, despite that he will drink milk at lunch out of it, his morning and evening milk he still demands it to be in a bottle. 

Can you not just let him use the cup he uses for water to drink his milk from? If he knows how to get the liquid out of that cup it might make the transition easier. 

Offline mmom

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:53:05 am »
Mashi, how did you "teach" your LO to drink from a straw cup?  Mine just throws it and won't even try it.

I do agree with Mashi though that it takes several times for my lo to drink from a different cup.  Like her, we don't trial them with his main milk drinks.  We try at meal times.
Kara

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »
Mashi, how did you "teach" your LO to drink from a straw cup?  Mine just throws it and won't even try it.

I have no idea, DH did it!  I've just asked him how,  and in the midst of reading your post to him, I referred to him (to his face) as DH.  He asked what "DH" meant and I told him it meant "d***head" as a joke. After a horrible poke in the ribs and being tickled until I almost wet myself, he responded with "tell your friend to figure it out for herself..."  ::)  SORRY!! I will pester him later and see if he will answer me!

Offline mmom

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 13:24:32 pm »
LOL, tell your wise a** DH, thanks for the help!
Kara

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 13:45:17 pm »
Kara - I taught DS using a carton of fruit juice and a regular straw. Just gave the carton a squeeze when the straw was in his mouth and the liquid came out. Once he knew he liked what was in there he just started to suck it and drink. I think it was just giving him an incentive to want to try and get something out of it  ::) and then he worked it out himself.

Becky - FWIW my DS won't have milk out of his regular free flow sippy either - and TBH I don't want him too either as it will end up all over the floor. It is one thing if it is water and quite another if it is milk  :P.

I haven't cracked this yet either but I have a straw cup and am planning on keeping trying it for a few days for his morning bottle to see if he will take to it.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 13:50:23 pm »
DD couldn't tilt cups back so she took to a straw cup first. I helped aim the straw into her mouth and kept telling her to suck etc. She figured it out and then had her formula in them for a bit but they were harder to drink from and she would sometimes suck up too much and spit out the excess and make a mess. DH and I got regular sippy cups and kept encouraging her to tilt them and she now drinks from any cup offered.

Offline mmom

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 14:20:44 pm »
Kara - I taught DS using a carton of fruit juice and a regular straw. Just gave the carton a squeeze when the straw was in his mouth and the liquid came out. Once he knew he liked what was in there he just started to suck it and drink. I think it was just giving him an incentive to want to try and get something out of it   and then he worked it out himself.
Would you believe that my LO won't touch juice?  It is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.  Before we transitioned to milk in the sippy, he would drink water only.  Then when we transitioned, he would only drink milk.  It is just the last couple of weeks that he is drinking water again, which is great.  But we still can't get him to drink juice.  But I will try that anyway and see how it goes.
Kara