Author Topic: illness has resulted in poor eating habits...  (Read 1295 times)

Offline annette.xx

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
illness has resulted in poor eating habits...
« on: January 08, 2010, 16:28:59 pm »
Hi

firstly I know this is toddler food board but my LO is nearly 11 1/2 months so I figured this was more relevant??!!

ok so she has had this awul cold which just wont budge and this has come straight after back to back teething which hasnt let up for 2 months!! (I have had at least one tooth every 2 weeks!! she now has 8.... 6 of these in last 2 months and swollen gums on bottom molars!!)...

I have already battled the spoon refusal thing at 9 months and with alot of time and care overcame it and she has been fab...

now back to square one but now with spitting food out throwing it refusing spoon and finger food and basically eating very little!!

she eats first spoonful maybe 2 then startsd spitting out or turning away...

finger foods are getting thrown without much trying...

she seems to still eat cereal in morning and banana a little bread, the odd baked bean, melon, a few peas, obviously biscuits etc and fruit puree pots ...

how I got her past it last time was to take her back a stage so went back to smooth foods that she loved and only the really tasty ones..got her eating again and looking forward to meals then quickly re introduced foods...

Im going to try this tomorrow so its going to  be stage 2 type food like pasta saucey type foods which she loved really little peices and really tasty and see if it helps - as I said she has no problem spoon feeding with the puree fruit (her fave) and her muesli ...

as for the spitting foods and throwing - I am ignoring it, not laughing, not reacting just going with it and not giving back any foods... Im sure there must be a better way to deal with it...

She must be so under nourished with her diet these last 2 wks but im hoing once the cold shifts it might improve...

I know habits set in really quick at this age so I want to catch it really quick...

thanks for reading ladies!

Annette.xx

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: illness has resulted in poor eating habits...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 14:52:05 pm »
Hi :)
We went through a very picky stage around the same age and I did exactly the same. He loves the Ella's organics stuff so i would buy the stage 2 packets. I knew they were healthy and I knew he would eat them and that was the main thing for me. I think when they have been ill it is fine to give them what they like...within reason. We were worried as he would not eat ANY lumps of any sort but he does now.
Henry seriously only ate yoghurt, fruit puree pots, cheese, raisins and Ella pouches for about 6-8 weeks and now he is eating everything in sight, lumps etc. It will pass
bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 14:55:08 pm »
meant to say - the food on the floor thing...we do the same. If he spits I totally ignore it as in I give no reaction (not sure if this is right but he has stopped that for now) and if he throws food he does not get it back and if he carries on he gets down from his chair.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline annette.xx

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 15:11:08 pm »
ah thanks becky!

its so worrying isnt it!

today she actually ate scrambled eggs and beans (her fave!!) and scoffed the lot so fingers crossed I can get her back on track!

if it isnt the sleeping its the eating! well for me nowdays it is both!

happy days....

Annette.xx