Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71876 times)

Offline momtokennedy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 03:30:40 am »
When do babies tend to sign back to you? I've been signing to my 9.5 month DD since day 1 and today I noticed that perhaps all this clapping she is doing is her signing "more, more". When can I expect to see more signs from her? I have noticed recently that when I sign, "eat" she does put the food in her mouth rather than throwing it on the floor to the dog...sometimes....is this promising or just wishful thinking?!

Also, my friend's son is 2 and although he can speak he refuses to say "thank you", he ONLY signs it...is this a normal occurance, that children will use the sign over spoken language?

Sarah

Offline teilvnav

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 90
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 14:35:26 pm »
Nathan has only recently started to sign back to me, but I know it can take even longer. We have been signing "all done" and "food" to him since 6 months, and "more" for a few months now. He has only just recently started signing "all done", and it is not the exact same sign I have been teaching him but it is obviously what he means.
Amy

Offline momtokennedy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 16:02:17 pm »
How old is Nathan? I've been trying to find out how old some of the other children mentioned in this series were when hey started but I only seem to find how old they were when the parents started signing to them and not how old the children were.

Maybe closer to 1?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 20:21:56 pm »
Every child is different.  My dd1 signed back to us around 8 months, dd2 was later.  Just keep it fun and casual.

My kids are both shy and for a long time would not say thank you, but were willing to sign it.  Is this the only word the he refuses to say?  Probably just playing around with it.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 21:36:46 pm »
Nathan is just past 1 year; he is almost 13.5 months old. He started signing 'all done' to us a few weeks ago, when he was about 12.5 months old.
Amy

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 17:26:53 pm »
Sign Language seems to be very popular and my LO is OBSESSED with it and some DVD's we have that teach it.  She loves to sign.  I'll catch her playing and she'll be signing the most random things while she's playing of even on car trips. 
Has anyone used the "Signing Time" DVD's that are put out by Rachel Coleman?  Just wondering if others have what they have thought and if they know how closely it resembles ASL.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline muddyfeet

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • New Apron
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 20:12:27 pm »
I've opened a can of worms...baby knows the sign for potty, which I love, but now she's signing potty all the time, and I take her, and sometimes she has to go, sometimes she doesn't, sometimes I think she's just saying "there's the potty" as we pass by the bathroom. So do I jump on it and take her every single time? It's making me nuts. Any ideas?

Offline Manueli

• big hugs
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 23:46:03 pm »
I would take her everytime. She will (hopefully) eventually learn that it's kinda boring always sitting on the potty, but at least you are not breaking the enthusiasm about going on it. And you probably want her to go more often than less. I think it is one of those ticks we just have to live with for a while. :D
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline lyeats44

• aka Linds
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 23:58:09 pm »
We have been signing with DD for a few months now (she is 9.5 mths) but we havent seen her sign back yet.,.. she definetly knows milk and gets excited about it! 

Happy to see this thread and would love to follow along!

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2010, 00:02:58 am »
Linds,
I know each LO is different but I believe is was 11 months when my Lo started signing back and milk was the first sign and I think all done was the next.  Now she loves it.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 16:55:50 pm »
Nathan is now enthusiastically signing 'food', 'more', and 'drink' at appropriate times. Yay!

Today we were out shopping and he signed for a drink, so I ran off and bought an apple juice right away just to reinforce the signing. I have to start carrying a sippy cup around with me... $2.25 a drink is going to add up fast!
Amy

Offline Rileysmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 02:14:43 am »
It's so much fun when you start to get signs back. Yay for you!

nauvoo06, we have been using the Signing Time and Baby Signing Time DVDs. We have just been borrowing them from the library. DS LOVES them. I was really worried about letting DS see too much TV, so I got him some signing videos. He was pretty excited about them, but when I started to show him the Signing Time ones, he decided he wouldn't watch anything else. In the last couple of weeks I have put the kids channel on to try and distract him for a few minutes while I get something done, and once he realizes it isn't Signing Time, he isn't interested.  :P The videos use only ASL, as she has a daughter who is deaf. On the information part of the DVD, she does warn that there is a bit of regional variation in ASL, so some of the signs might look a bit different. The first ones aren't quite as good quality as the later ones, but DS likes them all.

HTH!  :)

Offline muddyfeet

• New Apron
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 02:37:56 am »
OMG, my LO learned the sign for doggie, and she picked out all the doggies in her Baby Animals book tonight when we were reading!!!!!! She's only just a year...

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 08:08:15 am »
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i cant believe it, ive waited for this day for a whole year!!! Caleb signed Potty to me today!!!! and later we were watching TV and i asked him "whats the sign for potty?" and he did it!!! then i asked him whats the sign for eating?  and he pointed to his mouth (which is close enough!!!!) i cant beleive it!! if anything the sign for potty is the one ive done the least!!

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:10 am »
That's fantastic ladies!!!!! Jo, you must be so ecstatic!! :-*
*Sarah*