Author Topic: My nearly 7 month old and the bottle he doesn't want  (Read 1435 times)

Offline sharon_barendse

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
My nearly 7 month old and the bottle he doesn't want
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:34:31 am »
Argh! My 7 month old (in a week) is a very good natured, chatty, independent little fella. I just cannot get him to take a bottle.

When he was about 2 or 3 weeks old, against my midwife's advice (to avoid nipple confusion) I introduced a bottle in the evenings. He took it happily even though it was only once a day (in the evening before bed time). He would take the bottle from anyone and was quite happy to get his milk from the breast or the bottle.

When he was about 2.5 months old, we (hubby, me and baby) went to Chicago on holiday. The flight was a breeze and he settled right back into his routine - we couldn't believe it. While in Chicago I stopped feeding him with a bottle for these two weeks as it was more convenient to just breastfeed. When we got back again, the flight was a breeze and again and he settled right back into his routine once again. He even took the bottle again after being exclusively breastfed for two weeks. But that only lasted about a week.

I suspect at that point he started teething because he stopped sleeping through the night (which he had been doing for about a month or so) and he also refused to take the bottle. In the past he didn't seem to care whether I fed him formula or breastmilk. I experimented with both for a while, but I just could not get him to take it (nor my husband, while I was hiding away to avoid being seen by my little one).

When he was 5 months old, I took him to South Africa for a month. While we were there he cut his two bottom teeth (without too much fuss), started sitting on his own but still wouldn't take a bottle. Not for lack of trying though. My mother-in-law tried every day for a week. My mother then tried for a further week and a half. I even stayed out of sight for 2 and a half days but my little one just starved himself and refused to eat. He was very miserable during this time, which is completely the opposite to his usual temprament. My family were getting completely stressed out and it was ruining our holiday, so I just threw in the towel and breast fed him. The moment he took milk from me again, he returned to his usual playful and friendly self. As he is now approaching 7 months, I am getting concerned that he is not taking a bottle. I have to do a trip to Australia soon (for a month) and when I get back I have to go back to work.

I have tried cup feeding. I can get it down, but is very, very messy as he is a very active boy and grabs anything that comes within arms reach. I do feel we have made some progress though. He used to scream if I put the bottle to his lips, but I gave him a few bottles and magic cups to play with and how he no longer screams his head off when we bring the bottle to his lips. He is quite happy to chew on the teat or mouth piece, but he seems to have forgotten how to suck. I have also tried a bottle with a spoon attached to the end, but that is also very messy and also isn't really a solution for me. Initially I trained him to sleep thought the night with a dummy and I have tried it again to get him to sleep and to get used to the sucking again, but it seems that he prefers to chew it and when he does actually suck it (once a week!) it doesn't seem to soothe him. Certainly not in the same way it used to.

I am out of ideas. HELP!!

Offline HappyHannahsMum

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: My nearly 7 month old and the bottle he doesn't want
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 11:57:15 am »
Can I firstly say that I am really impressed that you were so easily able to switch between BF and bottle feeding even after a few days off.  I only wish I could do the same.  Have you tried different teats/bottles?  You didn't stipulate what you were using.  Tommee Tippee make a 'closer to nature' teat that is probably as close as you can get to the real thing.  The teats also come in different flow rates (i.e. slow, medium and fast) A girlfriend of mine switched to them and it did wonders for her very touchy baby. Good luck and let us know how you go.
Charlie (Hannah's Mum)
Hannah born 13/02/06

Offline mom-2-3

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 23:13:44 pm »
Hi,

Are you giving him formula or breast milk in the bottle?  Have you tried starting him on the breast and then sliding in a bottle with breast milk?  Keep him in the same position and slide yourself out and slide the bottle in.  If you can try it at a time when he is a little bit sleepy it definitely helps.  The idea is that he is still against your skin, and he's still getting the same milk.

I hope this helps, Heidi
Heidi

Offline sharon_barendse

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:53:29 am »
Can I firstly say that I am really impressed that you were so easily able to switch between BF and bottle feeding even after a few days off.  I only wish I could do the same.  Have you tried different teats/bottles?  You didn't stipulate what you were using.  Tommee Tippee make a 'closer to nature' teat that is probably as close as you can get to the real thing.  The teats also come in different flow rates (i.e. slow, medium and fast) A girlfriend of mine switched to them and it did wonders for her very touchy baby. Good luck and let us know how you go.
Thanks! A friend of mine suggested the Tommee Tippee (worked for her too). I went out immediatly with high hopes and bought a bottle with a range of teats. Sadly it didn't work - I was gutted :-[
I have tried Avent, Tommee Tippee and various other less known brands. I have also tried an Avent magic cup, a no-name brand feeding cup and a bottle with a spoon. I saw another post to slip in the bottle when he is still connected to my skin - will use the Tommee Tippee bottle. Gonna give that a try!

Offline sharon_barendse

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:24:16 am »
Hi,

Are you giving him formula or breast milk in the bottle?  Have you tried starting him on the breast and then sliding in a bottle with breast milk?  Keep him in the same position and slide yourself out and slide the bottle in.  If you can try it at a time when he is a little bit sleepy it definitely helps.  The idea is that he is still against your skin, and he's still getting the same milk.

I hope this helps, Heidi
Thanks
I have tried both breastmilk and formula in the bottle. I have tried three brands of formula - Cow and Gate, Aptimel and S60 (I think it is called, in Sout Africa). I haven't tried that sliding routine - it sounds like a good idea, I will definitely give that one a bash. Let's hope I can outsmart the little man!

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 19:07:45 pm »
Hi there

Have you tried a straw cup, he may be able to suck from that better?
Lauren x