Author Topic: solid foods and 6 months  (Read 800 times)

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 22, 2006, 19:53:55 pm »
My dd is 6 months and I want to start solids, however I'm a little confused as to how much to offer.  Also if I give her a schedule like the one in BW book won't it mess up her feeding schedule.  Why do they rec. giving solids about every 1 1/2 hrs after BF?  Ex-BF at 7 and breakfast at 830.  Wouldn't it be best to BF and give solids right after?  Just wondering.

Offline lisamichel

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 20:27:49 pm »
Hi there,   my  baby is 6 months and 1 week old and I have been giving her solids since about 4 1/2 months.   She is formula fed but I usually give her the milk first and then about an hour to 2 hours later I give her breakfast.  Her schedule looks something like this.     
6am - 3-5oz formula
8:30 - fruit and oatmeal (2 - 4oz)
10am - 2-4oz formula
1pm - 2-5 oz formula
4pm - 2-5 oz formula
5:30pm - veggies (about 2-4oz)
8pm -  3-5oz formula

Now granted my baby doesn't eat an extrodinary amount of formula usually -  She averages about 18-24 oz of formula a day plus 1 stage one pack of veggies and 1 stage one pack of veggies.     For her right now - the 2 meals of solid food a day seem to be what she will do.   There are times when she won't eat the solid food at all - depends on the day and I guess how she is feeling.     Also this schedule isn't set in stone for her -  She sometimes goes 4 hours or so until she is ready for another bottle.   
I hope this helps!     Your baby might eat more solids than mine -   She usually lets me know when she is finished by turning her head or clamping her lips tight!    Go with the cues of your baby more than relying on the actual amount of food.      :)

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:02:05 am »
Start with a tsp a day, then work up from there.

I usually bf, then offer soilds about half an hour later.  You don't want to wait too long or your baby will end up replacing a bf meal with solids, and you don't want that.  You still want breast milk to be the main source of nutrition.  Let baby fill up on bm, then give a tsp of solids.

I recommend giving the solids at breakfast, so you can monitor your child during the day for any reactions to the food.

Mashed bananas or avocados are a great first food.  Just mash with a fork and dilute with breast milk to get the consistency you need.