Author Topic: bottle to sippy cup - Desperate for guidance  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
bottle to sippy cup - Desperate for guidance
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:42:51 am »
Hi all,

desperately need help on the sippy cup transition.

DS uses sippy cup for water but has not been keen on taking milk. We have been messing it up bu offering milk in a bottle when he refuses sippy cup and i think its making it all worse, so need to take the bull by the horns and throw away the bottles.

So here is my dilemma: He takes 3 bottles morning afternoon and night, should i transition 1 at a time or all together? and If i do all together an and he refuses milk for a few days....what do I do especially with night feed and NW due to hunger.

Please please guide me...
Thanks,
Mukta
ps: he is just starting to drink water form an open cup-assisted by an adult and uses a Tommy Tippee sippy cup, the one you nee to bite on to get the flow.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
Re: bottle to sippy cup - Desperate for guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 20:27:54 pm »
Hi,

I hope you don't mind, but I am going to pop this over to the Eating for Toddlers Boards.  I am sure you will get a lot more response over there.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 20:45:30 pm »
Thanks Paula!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline emmas

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:03:41 am »
Mukta - I don't know whether this is worth trying - I've had ds drinking water/juice from an open cup since about 6 months - he refuses milk from it and have tried various sippy cups/bottle to cup trainers no luck.  Yesterday I put milk in his open cup (its a doidy cup) and gave him a straw while I had a straw in my water - and he drank the milk, only an oz but its given me hope.  I'm going to try it for a few days then maybe buy a straw cup or a hard plastic straw.

I've read quite a lot of people have had success with straw cups via this site.

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:29:47 am »
Thanks Emmas.

DS seems to think straws are for blowing bubbles!

but am happy to say we are seeing some success...I almost went cold turkey for his morning and afternoon milk and its only in the sippy cup and he ends up drinking a little less than he did with a bottle but its still pretty good. One ha to keep him distracted with a book or something but its progress for sure.

he has also started drinking water form an open cup...

My next problem to tackle is that he doe snot want to hold the cups himself (same with bottle) he seems to like being served! so we have to hold the cup/bottle for him..any thoughts ON what to do with his highness?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline emmas

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:00:15 am »
I have the same problem - he will hold one side of the handle but not both - I always though he couldn't hold a bottle because they were too big (tommee tippee) until I saw a 5 month old feeding herself - then I realised he, like yours likes being served - typical man!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:22:21 am »
haha I am so glad someone else also has the same problem, at home we joke that he has inherited that lazy attitude from DH!!! But its true even feeding wise he will feed himself for a first few bites and eta what he really likes, the rest he expects to have spooned into his mouth!

ps: DH will eta a whole meal of jaffa cakes if I am not around!!!
9 and 6, oh boy!