Author Topic: won't drink milk from sippy  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
won't drink milk from sippy
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:58:13 am »
3 days ago I threw all of J's bottles and teats out (don't know why, something came over me :-\). But now for 3 days in a row she won't drink from her sippy cup. She will drink every BUT milk! How long does it take for them to get used to drinking from sippy? Should I just go out and buy a bottle for now? I seriously don't remember Isabella doing this. She went from bottle to cup in a matter of days and the milk intake didn't change.

TIA
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Aly Mac

• Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
Re: won't drink milk from sippy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:50:30 am »
just wanted to send you some hugs Layla.  <<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Lilly never had bottles so I cna't give any advice love.  I would think she will get used ot it eventually. did she use a sippy for other drinks before?
Aleesa.....

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:11:45 pm »
hi hon, how are you, charley did not use a bottle ever so i can't offer any advice just hugs

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 16:01:10 pm »
TBH Layla I wouldn't go buy a bottle. I'd just keep offering the sippy and doing what you're doing.

How's the flow from the sippy? Colin also refused milk from the first sippy he had, and one day I tried to drink from it and it was impossible! So we got a different cup and we were golden.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 18:20:46 pm »
Nuby do some good sippys that have soft spouts that feel more like a bottle teat though if she doesn't like that I'd just buy her a bottle myself as I'd rather she drank milk. Leorah gave up the bottle easily but I was prepared to let her keep it if she wanted, they have so much growing up to do already so if they find comfort in their bottle I don't see a problem as long as they aren't keeping it in their mouth like a dummy and have their teeth brushed.

Katt  :)
Katt

Offline Aly Mac

• Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:14:04 am »
oh yeh - these Layla - from coles and woolies

either with a handle
http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Two-Handle-Sippy-Cup/dp/B000JOOGR0/ref=sr_1_72?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1212109853&sr=1-72

or not
http://www.amazon.com/nuby-10-no-spill-sipper/dp/B000ZPM5G2/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1212109973&sr=1-89

take no notice of the prices though.... they are much dearer here, but the best ones that I found to start Lil on - around 10-13dollars...
Aleesa.....

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:28:28 pm »
Thanks all :-*. Still no luck with milk... so the dairy intake has increased to make up for it. Thanks Aleesa for the links. We actually have the Nuby non-spill sipper and DH tried to give her milk through it the other night but said it was still a no-go. The sippy we're using at the moment she drinks water and juice from... but just not milk.

Its so weird how the source where its from can make her stop drinking it all up ???

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 13:16:26 pm »
Hi Layla,

Just dropping by to encourage you. We stuck to the sippy cup for the AM feed and intake reduced by half...we often read while drinking to distract DS from the fact that he does not have a bottle..but its great to be on only 1 bottle a day..hang in there, overdo on the yoghurt's and cheese and the LO will be fine!

Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Layla

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 21:28:22 pm »
Thanks honey :-*.

Offline irish3680

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • I'm such a good sport!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 14:22:07 pm »
Hi Layla,

What about going to an open cup? It could be special for "big girls" to drink milk out of. I would just stay consistent, she will get it. Definitely check the flow from the sippy because my mom bought Ella this cup she loved with princesses on it but it was so hard to get liquid out of (I had a tough time too), so now it's just a play cup. We have always used Gerber and they have worked great for us.
Shannon

Ella Grace 8/25/06
Mya Rose 4/18/09
Cal Howard 10/17/10

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 20:34:45 pm »
Hi,

Oscar is still funny about where milk comes from. I have used Avent for EBM since he was born and then used their soft sippy tops for water from around 8 mths. At this stagr we were more or less back to exclusive milk feeds from the breast (as he didn't need milk while I was in work) apart from the EBM (from work) DF in bottle....

when I stopped BF at 16 mths we gave toddler formula in bottle (as it's sweeter than cows milk and he rfused cows milk completely)....he then decided he would drink cows milk ice cold from fridge thro a straw after his tea(never from sippy even today) and toddler formula (in the am only) from the avent sippy...BUT the sippy top (green hard Avent one) has to be attached to clear plastic Avent bottle and not the coloured magic cups which for him as his water cups.....so my child, being typically ritualistic at 2, after many cups and straws, now has a milk feeding routine again and has about 240 mls twice a day....once low fat cows milk and once toddler formula!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Layla

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 21:17:17 pm »
Thanks, I might try cup with a straw today cause I am a little worried about her milk intake. She used to drink 300ml per day and now its nothing.

Offline irish3680

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • I'm such a good sport!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 21:53:24 pm »
I'm sure her intake will increase, it just may take some time. When we dropped Ella's last bottle she was still drinking formula and it took a few weeks for her intake to match what she drank from the bottle. But it eventually got there. In the mean time I just added extra calcium/protein servings with her meals.
Shannon

Ella Grace 8/25/06
Mya Rose 4/18/09
Cal Howard 10/17/10

Offline Layla

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 00:27:21 am »
EUREKA girls!!! ;D ;D ;D

I bought the cup with a straw and made her a banana milkshake (also added a little bit of honey) and she drank the whole cup ;D. I was very happy indeed. I don't mind making her milkshakes and at least she's drinking it from something.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions :-*

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 06:32:25 am »
I thought straw cups were lso considered sippys! In that case we have never done sippy cups either, from 6 months I started with an open cup and when out and about we use a straw cup, much easier anyway as you wont have to wean from a sippy  :)
Katt

Offline laurenhendo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 07:01:47 am »
Hey there

Will be interested to see the advice on this post...my lo also wont drink her milk from a sippy (she has just turned 1) and i also threw most of her bottles out when she turned 1, but kept 2.....so i can totally understand your frustration hehehe

LH xo