Author Topic: Red ring rash - food allergy or teetthing?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Sharon P

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Red ring rash - food allergy or teetthing?
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:24:17 am »
Hi,

We have just started solids in the last 6 weeks. I only just discovered that a red ring rash around the anus can be a sign of a food intollerance. I was blissfuly unaware, so I have introduced a range of new foods over the last few weeks and now have to start again to work out what is causing the problem. i have noticed this rash on occasion in the last 4 weeks, it is not serious and doesn't seem to bother DS, and tend to clear up fairly easily with a little nappy rash cream, though I may have changed his food as well, just not intentionally. Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any chance it is caused by teething as an alternate explanation?

If you think it is food related, can you look at my DS diet and tell me which foods may be more likely suspects. He has eaten the following so far:

Fruit: Pears, apple, mango, apricots
Vegies: Pumpkin, Sweet potatoe, avocado
Diary: Yoghart, 1 x bottle of formula (each of these have been introduced in the last week, rash reappeared in last day or two only)
Other: Baby porridge (oats), some farex weeks ago

Also, how long after I have given a food would I expect to see a reaction (eg. 1 hr, next bowl movement, next day etc)?

Thanks for your perspective,

Sharon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:30:51 am by Sharon P »
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mommy to Hayden, Born April 9th, 2006! 6 lbs 7 oz!
Re: Red ring rash - food allergy or teetthing?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 15:36:05 pm »
Is it an actual rash with bumps or is it just red around the anus area?  If it's just red (my son is like this still) my Dr said that is normal when eating solids, just that their poop is a little more acidic than it was before.  Not all babies get it, but if it's just red it's no cause for concern.  I just use zinc oxide each time I change him, some days it's barely noticeable & other days a little more red than normal.  Doesn't bother him at all though.

Offline Sharon P

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 20:43:14 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It is just a red ring, no raised surface or bumps. It does respond quickly to a nappy rash cream (calamine, alond oil, salicylic acid and zinc oxide).

However, on another thread someone described the same kind of rash and were told it was a tell tale sign of an allergy.

Would be great if it was all just normal, save lots of effort and stress.

Sharon.

Offline Jenny_Jen

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mommy to Hayden, Born April 9th, 2006! 6 lbs 7 oz!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 00:52:00 am »
It's probably just whatever he ate that day is irritating his skin there.  I find my son's is more red some days than others & zinc ozide clears it up.  I asked my Dr about it at his 6 month check up & she said it was soooo common & not to worry about it unless it totally turns into a rash or is bothering him.  3 months later & it hasn't changed or bothered him.

Offline Sharon P

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:31:29 am »
Well that's a relief. Here I was thinking I was a bad mummy for not realising that he was reacting to certain foods. It makes sense that it is just something that he eat that day and it is really no big deal to treat, one application does the trick. So I will plough ahead with the introduction of more solids rather than move to a more restricted diet.

Cheers,

Sharon.