Author Topic: 10 mnth old stopped eating textures...suggestions????  (Read 944 times)

Offline mickymuscles

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
10 mnth old stopped eating textures...suggestions????
« on: February 04, 2006, 00:00:12 am »
Hi, I use to have the best eater and now he's the worst eater.  I have no idea what happened.  He would eat textures like a champ and the last week he spits everything out that has a texture to it.  I don't know how to get him back to eating textures again.  Does anyone have an idea how to convince him??  ::) ???  He's got 5 teeth so far and I don't see any sign of another...but that doesn't really mean anything.  ::) :-\  HELP!!
Micky
mom to 2 beautiful boys!

Offline C-line

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 10 mnth old stopped eating textures...suggestions????
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 22:43:19 pm »
I wish I had more advice, but I don't think there's much to do other than to keep offering them and wait out what sounds like a phase.

GL!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 03:23:53 am »
Olivia has had oral/texture issues since very early on but it took a different turn at 10 mo. she refused the spoon at that point and only wanted finger foods and even then only certain ones (decision mostly based oin texture rather than tase)  Olivia does a "texture test" on all foods offered - she pinches/tries to squueze the food and if it is at all mushy she will toss it or squish it to oblivion. she has a vry limited range of foods that pass the test and and we just keep offering new things and get excited when she gobbles them up. we don't push her but have found that she is now (at 11 1/2 mo) willing to take food by spoon when she wants to (she never accepted yogurt when she was younger and now she loves it and will feed herself with the spoon or let me, she also accepts lumpy jarred food sometimes) i suggest you offer a range at each meal (some textures you know he accepts, some that he used to like and somerthing new)

in case this list helps you or someone else with texture issues this is what we have had success with:
pieces of chicken and sausage or mince (make bolognaise sauce with bigger chunks of meat and that is all she wil eat is the meat) - a real carnovore and she only has 1 tooth
small pieces of green apple that is peeled - real hard/firm for all fruits; same for canteloupe, nectarines, peaches, pears
watermelon pieces (seedless) - woudl eat a massive amount if i let her - as this mekts in her mouth the texture seems to be ok even though not hard
pieces of toast or crackers (another huge favourite)
coin sized pieces of steamed carrot, then cut into quarters
PEAS - i give them whole and she will eat those that are hard - she pinch tests all of them and sends the semi-soft ones flying from the high chair  ::)
corn niblets
very thick yogurt
pasta - spirals or penne
cheerios

generally refuses due to texture- all cereals(tried baby rice, wheetbix, oatmeal), mashed veg, many fresh veg (guess textures are too odd for her), potatoes, lunch/deli meats (too think i guess), cheeses

i find if i work based on these as the core of her meals and then offer new things beside them we will have a well-rounded diet for her even if not as varied as some. is he good with finger foods? 90% or more of liv's meals are now done wholly by her. HTH
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline mickymuscles

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 06:05:36 am »
thanks so much for your replies.  I will try some of your suggestions.  If i can distract him with some finger foods (or finger toys i should say  ::)) then I can usually get a couple of spoonfuls of food into him before he notices. ::)  I hope this is a phase...or he learns to spoon feed himself soon!!!!! :-\ ;)
Micky
mom to 2 beautiful boys!