Author Topic: So let me get this straight, re: walk in/walk out  (Read 1011 times)

Offline mom2miles

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
So let me get this straight, re: walk in/walk out
« on: June 23, 2006, 18:59:36 pm »
I'm trying wi/wo for the first time today with my almost 2-year old, for naptime.  We've been at it about 40 minutes so far.  I put him in his crib (he had fallen asleep in the car, for about 30 minutes, just prior, so I may have started all wrong) and he immediately jumped up and started crying.  I patted him, told him it was time to go night-night, and walked out.  He screamed.  I waited 10 seconds, walked back in, tried to lay him down (but he fights it and stands right up), told him it was time to go night-night, and walked out.  I did the same thing 3 or 4 times and then just gave up trying to lay him down and left him standing.  He's screaming and crying constantly.  It's making him madder every time I walk in and then walk out.  I've seriously never heard him scream so furiously.  After a few minutes he throws his blanket, pillow and all stuffed animals in the floor, and continues to just stand there and scream and cry for Mommy (and occasionally, Daddy, since mean old Mommy won't get him out.)  He's kicking the crib, hitting his crib aquarium, and grabbing at me and sometimes pinching if he manages to touch me when I walk in, pat and tell night night, walk out. 

Am I doing this right?  I just don't see him ever stopping crying, laying down, or going to sleep at this point.  I'm planning to keep it up until the 2-hour naptime is over, which gives me another half hour of it.  At that point, I'll get him up like nothing had happened, and he will have only gotten a little catnap in the car.  Is that okay?  Then we'll try it all again tonight? 

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: So let me get this straight, re: walk in/walk out
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 20:05:27 pm »
I think it might've been a rough start because of the catnap at the car. He got some rest so now he's not tired enough to go to sleep in a different way.

I would just leave it at it, try to soothe him with some patting (sometimes some shshing and rubbing ds's back or forehead helps me when he's in a franctic state) and see if he'll go to sleep for the rest of the nap.

Most important is, once you've started, don't look back. Try this at bedtime again, follow your routine and timings STRICTLY and when wi if he resists to be laid down, don't just reassure him with a pat or a small cuddle and leave. IF you give in he will learn that he has to cry out loud to getwhat he wants so it's not a very good lesson to teach. IT will be hard the first few times, but Im sure you'll get it right.

HUGS and don't worry you just got a rough start because of the catnap at the car. IT shouldn't be as bad for bedtime. SLEEPY VIBES going your way!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 20:13:53 pm »
Florencia is absolutely right.  Keep at it, be confident and you will give off those vibes.  Another thought, try explaining it simply to him when he's awake what you need him to do.  If nothing else, I find this preserves my sanity to feel I have explained and given reasons for my plans.

Good luck tonight.
Jenny

Offline Alia's mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Alia 28.03.2005, Eli 08.09.07
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 21:28:46 pm »
My afternoon nap time sounds just like that!! Nearly every day.  I figured that was normal!!