Author Topic: Judging A Time  (Read 862 times)

Offline FionaS

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 19, 2007, 22:23:05 pm »
Hi

My dd is 6mths this week and I'm struggling with her A times.  She is very unsettled, and has been for 3.5 weeks.  She had a minor ear infection which has been treated with ABs.  The doc said it looks like she may be teething.  My problem is that she is sooo grumpy during her awake time, she appears to need another nap after 1 1/4 hours.  Today she was so upset after 1.5 hours up that I felt I had to put her down but then she took 30mins to settle and then only napped for 1 hour.  For her second A time she has been up for 2 hours but now won't settle.  She has always been wonderful at settling - usually going to sleep without a cry.

I have read the guidelines for A time and know my daughters are much shorter than is normal for her age.  I've tried gradaully extending them etc but we just end up with short naps if I keep her up even 10mins past the tired signs.   

I feel overwelmed as she has been constantly grizzling through her awake times for weeks, not tolerating outings, feeding 3 hourly and waking more in the night.  Getting out and about is getting harder and harder rather than easier due to her short, grumpy A times.  I know there is no such thing as a bad Mum but I am starting to feel like one!  I just don't know where to start / what to tackle or whether to just leave things and assume it's teething or something.

Offline mrsrobbo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Bev, mum to Bradley, Paige and 9 angels x
Re: Judging A Time
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 22:24:36 pm »
hugs to you, its hard I know. What dies your LO's routine look like?

Offline FionaS

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 22:49:29 pm »
It is all over the place. She was waking at 7am and doing 3 hour easy from there.  Now every day is different.  If she wakes at 6 I feed her and put her back down but she will be awake again 1 hour 20mins later (exactly 2 sleep cycles) wanting to start the day so our feeds get thrown.  If she wakes at 6.30, we feed and start the day from there. 

She generally does 1 hour & 20min naps but if she stays up (even if it is happily) for 2 hours she always does a 40min nap. 

Here is an approx outline of our day
E 7am
S 8.30 - 10am
E 10am
S 11.45 - 1.15
E 1.15
S 3 - 4
E 4ish
Awake until bedtime
E 6.30
S 7  or 7.30pm
No df as it doesn't work for us

The above is a good day but 2 days are never the same despite my best efforts.  I am a structure / routine person but can't seem to get things right.