Author Topic: Is there any way to 'supportively' encourage someone to bf?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
Re: Is there any way to 'supportively' encourage someone to bf?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 18:57:27 pm »
Well, I did it - a few days after your post Sabrina, I was talking to my friend, and I just casually mentioned about the bf, and offered my support if that's what she was going to do... she seemed completely happy with my offer (she thinks of me as some kind of bf 'crusader' I think!!).  Saw her on Thursday and she was off to hire one of those hospital grade electric pumps.  Anyway, she had her baby on Saturday (via an unexpected c-section) and I haven't seen her yet, but from her text messages she seems to be doing well (not sure on the bf thing specifically)... here's hoping it's much better for her this time.  Oh yes, I did also explain that latching on does hurt initially at the start of feeds, but that that goes away (she seemed to think that it was going to hurt all the time).

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 19:46:40 pm »
Good for you Denise!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline beccarman

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • happy families!!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 20:13:43 pm »
a friend of mine told me it took 3 weeks to get sort of ok bfing her 3rd baby...that helped me to stick at it and see if it would improve...just knowing that other people find it tough to start with helps and makes you realise you're not doing it all wrong (assuming she isn't that is?!). also i have another friend who bf her first baby (with nipple sheilds) for about 7 weeks but her next baby till he was 19mths, so it really is different everytime!
just keep being her friend and offering help if she needs it, with bfing and other stuff, sounds like you're doing a fab job alreday though!