Author Topic: 22 months old DD's sleep has got out of control  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Maria14

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
22 months old DD's sleep has got out of control
« on: December 02, 2014, 21:11:50 pm »
Hello ladies,
Hoping to get some advice or hear your experience!
DD is now 22 months, still very spirited, currently having a language explosion, saying new words every day.
Has been independent sleeper since young age, currently sleeps on adult sized bed in her room.
She transitioned to one nap at around 16 months and for a while she took it quite early so that her pm A time was longer than am.
She would get herself into her cot (rails came down when she was 18 months or so) quite happily for nap when she was ready and would settle quickly.
At bed time she generally went down smoothly and was asleep within 10-15 min.
Even before she was one the most sleep she would have in 24 hrs would be about 12 hrs max.

Current issues are:
1. She is very prone to OT and always has been with horrendously long NWs. She seems to be fkactuating between OT and UT.
2. Even when she is tired she refuses nap mainly because she doesn't want to miss out on the fun- even more difficult when DH is around at weekends - we literally have to all 'go to bed' so she will finally agree to go to bed. It's getting her to lie down that seems to be the main problem at nap. Once down she goes to sleep within 10 min max.sometimes in the morning she will drag her pillow on the floor and lie down like she wants to sleep, but is up and running again in 5 min.
She sleeps 1-2 hrs,I find she is very grumpy if she sleeps longer than 1.5 hrs or sleeps too late in afternoon which is understandable. I think her natural rhythm is consistent with 1 hr 15 min of nap time.
Because her nights and WUs are wonky at the moment her nap length varies.
3. She takes 40-60 min to fall asleep at bedtime. Used to be about 15 min. She calls for me a lot, sometimes I stay with her until she is asleep- I don't mind doing this but it takes so long!- during this time she is trying to fall asleep,she isn't jumping around refusing to lie down etc, its more she just can't switch off and stays in that nearly asleep state for 45 min on average. This happens every night now regardless of how long her nap was and what activity she had in the day. She genuinely is tired at bed time, but can't switch off..

The other day she slept 12 hr night which is very unusual for her( the more sleep she has the more grumpy she becomes it seems) woke up at 7 am and I couldn't get her down for nap until 2 pm, she actually agree to lie down but was genuinely wide awake and singing. Eventually she did fall asleep.
It seems that may be I should let her skip nap and do early bedtime, am just very anxious she will be OT and won't cope with it very well..

She has had quite a few EWs in the last few days where she tries to resettle for up to 1.5 hrs sometimes but can't and we get up. So I think she is tired and needing more sleep.

I think the next step is to cap her nap really, to 1 hr probably. I ve always been reluctant to wake her up :(
But set nap and BT don't work any more :( and she can't regulate her sleep.

Most troublesome of all I think is her taking ages to fall asleep at bedtime and I don't know what to do anymore.
She has a wind down routine, we offer books in bed but often she just wants lights off and sleep but then can't settle.
There's no issue like pain or hunger, probably developmental, but is just so frustrating!

Do we just let her skip nap occasionally? This could help her settle at BT a bit quicker, as her taking so long to fall asleep makes her day 14 hrs or so, so whether that or skipped nap she will be OT anyway, so I don't know what' s best anymore.
Do I let her sleep on floor in sitting room- sometimes she really wants to do that! Just so she rests at the right time.

Thank you for any advice

Maria

Offline patsy32

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 22 months old DD's sleep has got out of control
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 22:41:56 pm »
Hi Maria,
No advice Iam afraid but watching your post with great interest as Iam in the exact same boat as you. Dd is 23 months old and is going through the same nap drama as your lo. Our routine was like clockwork but over the last 2/3 months it's just gone! We're experiencing a language explosion here too and teething not helping either. My dd's am A has jumped to 7 hrs now and she will only fall asleep in the car.  If I put her in crib all hell breaks loose. We are getting various nap lengths too and early wakings.
Anyway, what I have resorted to is
1. Excepting her A time has increased to 7 hrs (believe me this was hard as I hate change in routine)
2. Taking a drive at this time so she will fall asleep in car and then transferring her to crib (will not settle in crib for nap at all anymore but will transfer easily once asleep)
3. Not capping her nap to anything less than 1hr 15 min as this gave us nw's and ew's and a very grumpy girl all evening (I cap at 1.5hrs)
4. Bedtime is 4 hrs 10/15min after Wu from nap (that's if nap lasts 1.5hrs.
I just found by capping nap to 1 hr it leads to more problems overall so I tend to just go with the later nap and adjust BT accordingly.
Hope something in there might help you but as I said earlier I'm struggling here aswell so hopefully someone else will have more helpful answers for you.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 22:44:51 pm by patsy32 »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:07:33 am »
I dont know that I would skip a nap without at least trying to cap it first. DD3 has a capped nap and although she doesnt like being woken I can usually just rouse her enough and she will rummage around her bed for a bit before agreeing to come out. We cap at 45-60 min currently.
Heidi

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:37:06 am »
Hi,

What time is wu? and nap on a normal day?(what time do you try for a nap?)

X
Jody
 xx

Offline Maria14

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 17:58:41 pm »
Hi ladies,
WU until recently was 6.30 or so,but she usually happily had a lie in til 7 am.
Nap at 12.30 but she won't settle now and even if we go smth like 7 hours from wake up and she is very tired,still takes ages to get her to go to bed.
Now we are stuck in OT cycle wake up has been 5.30 on a few occasions plus when she is OT she just can't go into deep sleep esp from about 4 am she wakes up and fusses briefly quite a lot :(

Patsy,I wouldn't mind a later nap- it's just I feel she needs quite long A time before bed and just isn't tired enough.guess we need to do a capped nap starting at 1 pm and up by 2 pm or smth like that.
DD won't sleep in car or buggy for more than 30 min :(

Yes,nap capping is way forward here I think.

Offline Maria14

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 18:00:50 pm »
A big problem here is DD not wanting to go to bed regardless how tired she is because she just can't miss out on the fun!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 18:48:43 pm »
Bear in mind that developmental leaps/birthdays can play havoc with sleep and routines, it may be a case of riding it out.  However we did have our first NND at around that age and had dropped nap completely by 29 months x